Who should I vote for?

The local election is coming up fast, so Oracle reporter Maggie Tiede has compiled a list of candidates who will be on the ballot this year.

Maggie Tiede, Reporter

Governor & Lt. Governor:

Hannah Nicollet and Tim Gieseke: Running on the Independence Party ticket, Nicollet has a socially moderate, fiscally conservative plan and has no previous political experience. Two areas in which Nicollet would increase spending are transportation and child protective services.

Jeff Johnson and Bill Kuisle: On a platform of caution and frugality. Jeff Johnson is the Republican candidate for governor. He plans business and tax reforms, and his running mate, Kuisle, is a businessman and farmer from Rochester.

Mark Dayton and Tina Smith: The incumbent DFL candidate, Mark Dayton picked a new running mate this year in Tina Smith, who is his chief of staff. In this year’s State of the State address, Dayton proposed achieving a budget surplus by 2015 and a higher investment in schools by increasing taxes on the wealthy.

Chris Holbrook and Chris Dock: On the Libertarian Party ticket, Chris Holbrook plans to reduce taxes and government spending, as well as legalize marijuana and fireworks and overturn the “blue laws” that prevent the sale of alcohol on Sundays.

Chris Wright and David Daniels: Running on the Grassroots: Legalize Cannabis platform, Chris Wright lists the permanent platform of his party as the Bill of Rights.

U.S. Senator

Steve Carlson: Running on the Independence ticket, Steve Carlson is prominent in the Tea Party movement, and would move to ban same-sex marriage and repeal the Affordable Care Act. He is a fiscal and social conservative.

Mike McFadden: Mike McFadden, running on the Republican ticket, considers lowering taxes, cutting spending, finding a replacement for the Affordable Care Act, and improving the lives of students and seniors to be his key issues.

Al Franken: The incumbent candidate on the DFL ticket, Al Franken has made anti-trust work (including working to maintain Net Neutrality), student debt, and veterans’ affairs among his primary efforts in the U.S. Senate.

Heather Johnson: Running on the Libertarian ticket, Heather Johnson supports cutting spending, ending privatized prisons, and imposing limits on terms for Congress. She also supports holding elections for the Supreme Court.

U.S. Representative Dist. 4

Dave Thomas: The Independence Party candidate, Dave Thomas supports tuition-free higher education, as well as student loan forgiveness and a repeal of No Child Left Behind. He also supports an end to for-profit prisons, the legalization of marijuana, and the defunding of the NSA.

Sharna Wahlgren: Running on the Republican ticket, Sharna Wahlgren wants to promote fiscal responsibility, job growth, and local solutions for Minnesota’s problems.

Betty McCollum: The DFL incumbent, Betty McCollum has served in the House of Representatives since 2001. Among her key issues are LGBT civil rights, reduction of carbon emissions, and the preservation of Social Security.

State Representative Dist. 66B

Lizz Paulson: The Republican candidate for the Minnesota House, she ran unopposed in primaries. Education and women’s rights are among her primary concerns.

John Lesch: The incumbent DFL candidate, John Lesch is a prosecuting attorney for the City of Saint Paul and is a Hamline Law School graduate. Public safety is a primary concern in his campaign.