Snuggles and Spooks! Hamline prepares for fall festivities

This week we are given the inside scoop on how Hamline students like to spend their time during this spooky season.

Reagan Clark, Life Reporter

Say goodbye to the hot, humid weather and get snuggled up with a warm drink and good movie. Despite the end of lake days and tank-top weather, autumn signals the beginning of a new season full of excitement and magic. 

Hamline’s campus is perfect for this time of year with Starbucks’ pumpkin spice lattes in Anderson and gorgeous foliage you can not take your eyes off. Beautiful, vivid autumn leaves sit scattered everywhere you look. When the apple cider is flowing and the leaves are crunching, the students of Hamline University are thrown into a fall wonderland.

Visiting a pumpkin patch is a common tradition among Hamline students who love to pick out a cute pumpkin and carve it into a captivating design every year. A pumpkin patch is also a perfect backdrop for your next Instagram post. 

Students also enjoy the season’s simple pleasures such as stepping on a leaf to hear that perfect crunch. Little joys of fall also include making fall-themed treats, rocking the signature fall staple of UGG boots and just enjoying the season of pumpkin-spiced everything.

A big part of this season is delicious food. Specifically, the mouthwatering meal at Thanksgiving. Gathering family and friends around a table of superb food is arguably one of the best parts of this season. 

“[I love to] gather with all of my family for a delicious meal. It reminds me to be grateful for everything I have”first-year Esmé Pool said. 

Other students expressed how, despite temperatures dropping, the fall prompts them to spend more time outside. Students seem to enjoy the sights of the season through hiking and going on walks around campus. Lindsey Koch, a first-year, is among the students at Hamline who love the scenic, warm sights of the season. 

“My favorite part about fall is walking among all the scenery,” Koch said. “[I love it when] the greens become oranges and reds.” 

On the other hand, most students stated they prefer to spend their fall indoors. What sounds better than sitting next to a crackling fire and watching Halloween movies on a chilly night? 

“[I love how] fall gives me an excuse to bust out my favorite hoodies and bundle up in festive pajamas.”

Spooky season approaching causes students to get, well, spooky. With Halloween around the corner, students are thrilled by the challenge of figuring out the perfect Halloween costume. This time of year is filled with endless opportunities to be spooked or spook others … if you dare. 

Another highlight student’s shared about enjoying fall was “hiding bodies.” Although it was a joke … I hope. This comment really taps into the scary nature of the season. The thrilling, haunting night of Oct. 31 excites people. For one night, it is acceptable to dress absurdly and scare others. This is what Hamline students are mainly happy for: the many parties, trick or treating and festivities of Halloween.

Overall, fall is an exciting time for Hamline students. There are so many opportunities to enjoy oneself this spooky season. The trees are rapidly changing color and there is a sense of ambition in the air. Hamline students are taking advantage of it. Happy haunting, Hamline!