Fulcrum’s Expression Night

The Fulcrum expands from literature to other forms of artistic expression.

Austin Burley, Joe Rauzi, Kenny Zierman and Noah Slide playing during the Fulcrum Expression Night.

Tim Schnell, Photo Editor

Franki Hanke, Senior Reporter

The Fulcrum hosted an event that opened up a new avenue for Hamline
artists to share their talents on Feb. 8. Held in open mic fashion, live bands, singers, poets, painters and others all showcased their art. Everyone was a Hamline student, revealing just how vibrant the art community is at Hamline University. 

Avery Marshall, the architect behind this event, said that the inspiration that started it was seeing a need for other kinds of artists to have a way to express themselves, particularly musicians.

Even though Hamline does have a music program, there aren’t many ways for musicians to gain an audience on campus for themselves. Despite that the Fulcrum is traditionally a literary journal, they stepped up to the plate and opened this event for anyone to come and perform. 

No one knew what to expect of this expedition. This was completely uncharted territory for the Fulcrum, but it turned out rather successfully. The first of the performers was a band that yet remains nameless. For now, they requested to be referred to as “the cool dudes.”

The band performed three songs, all of which were originals. Their final song, “Sick House,” seemed to be the audience favorite, and the next performer offered her own compliments. It was also the first song the band ever wrote together.

Overall, their upbeat, edgy tunes and lyrics reflected a band that worked together in creative synchronization.

Besides the nameless band, there was one other band that performed that night. Sal Paradise presented their first ever live performance with three Smash Mouth covers.

This indie band held a smooth, almost groovy personality about them, and their music reflected that unique dynamic. They announced that their album, “Lowest Form of Life” could be found on SoundCloud.

The night was host to a variety of acts made up of musicians, poets and painters, each showcasing their personal talents. Many of these individuals poured their hearts out onto the stage, revealing something deep and personal about their performance.

There was an uplifting serenity that came from these people expressing their sorrows, personal struggles and fears through their art. Whether or not they wrote their own songs or poetry, or borrowed from another artist, it was an engaging event that was fun and sincere.

Marshall hopes that this first Expression Night will be the beginning of a new, annual event for artists. Fulcrum’s goal is to promote artists of various backgrounds and perhaps Expression Night is a way to go further than its usual literary coverage.

Senior Talia Hailbara, who covered Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love,” conveyed that singing for Expression Night was a positive experience and she would definitely want to do it again. She also has published written works through the Fulcrum and enjoyed this new avenue that the Fulcrum had tried out.

Judging by the success of this event, perhaps this will be a new Hamline tradition for years to come.