Don’t be a drag, come see a queen at annual drag show

Spectrum wows crowds again with the organization’s annual drag show and cabaret performance.

Dahlface serves the crowd with a Rihanna and Ariana Grande remix.

Sabrina Merritt, Senior Reporter

There is no shortage of sophistication or style on Hamline’s campus. On April 12, Spectrum, Hamline’s LGBTQ+ student organization, held its annual Amateur Drag Show and Cabaret. Students were invited to perform any talent or passion. From lip-syncing to poetry readings, over 10 acts entertained a crowd of cheering supporters in the ballroom of the Bush Student Center.

Hosted by drag queens Topfor Bottoms and Queen Sistine, the night began short performances from the pair. These performances served as demonstrations on the ways queens and audience members interact. Queen Sistine’s short performance represented queens and entertainers who would choose to stay up on stage, while Topfor Bottoms’ performance represented the queens choosing to actively dance through the crowd and embrace attendees.

Junior Ari Stemple kicked off performances by singing a cover of “When He Sees Me” for the Broadway musical “Waitress.” The comical song describes feeling anxious about entering the dating world. Stemple received many hoops, hollers and shouts of encouragement during the song.

The rest of the first act saw drag performances by not only the two hosts but also queen Drew Fairymore. In a little black dress, Fairymore performed a saucy number to Taylor Swift’s “…Ready For It?” Strutting through the center aisle of the crowd, Fairymore received cheers and appreciation through tips, a practice common at drag shows.  

First-year AJ Moore shook the lineup by reciting two original poems. Her first poem “Young Philosophers” was dedicated to her close Hamline friendships.

“I’m not gonna bring you a wild dance,” Moore said with a small laugh. “But, I’ll give you my heart.”

After a 10 minute break full of audience members showing off their own dance moves to the intermission playlist, queens Heather LynnLoxx, Erin Bougie and Dahlface took to the stage.

Sabrina Merritt
Erin Bougie demonstrates her gymnastic skills during a high energy performance of Lady Gaga’s “Telephone.”

As the night went on, the audience of adoring fans and friends only became more eager to encourage the performers. First-year Parker Reindahl was one fan who has attended many drag shows in the Twin Cities area. He was invited to attend by his friend and fellow first-year Hannah Dahl, who performed in the show as Dahlface.

“A lot of the shows I go to in the Twin Cities are amateur drag shows,” Reindahl said. “People who are really well established in drag, tend to just walk around the stage. That’s good and I respect that. But I love the drag that people do for them, not to make money.”  

The show was also a hit for junior Ben Sorenson, a first-time attendee to a drag show. Sorenson came to the show with a group of friends who knew performers.

“I’ve wanted to see [a drag show],” Sorenson said on why he came to the event. “I appreciate they’re having so much fun.”

The final song was a show-stopping number performed by host Topfor Bottom and Anal Leash. The duo danced and lip-synched to a medley of songs sung by Sharpay and Ryan Evans from the High School Musical franchise.

Spectrum used the show to promote its next major event, the Lavender Gala. The gala, occurring on April 30, will include a dinner and a chance for seniors to pick up rainbow tassels for graduation.