Art is defining the era in the upcoming Fulcrum volume

We’ve entered an epoch according to the upcoming volume published by Hamline’s art journal the Fulcrum.

Sabrina Merritt, Senior Reporter

Merriam-Webster defines epoch as “an event or a time marked by an event that begins a new period or development.” In their upcoming edition, titled “Epoch,” the Fulcrum Journal is defining the word through art.

The Fulcrum is Hamline’s annual arts journal featuring works of both literary and visual art. From poetry to photography, the journal serves as a voice for Hamline’s arts community. The publication is student-led and is completely comprised of community submissions. The journal first appeared in the spring of 1996 as a revival of Hamline Art and Literature Review. While the first Fulcrum was supported by Hamline’s Humanities department, the journal is now funded through the Student Media Board. The board not only approves annual budgets of media organizations but also claims to advocate for freedom from censorship in all campus publications.

Junior Skyler Kane is the current Editor-in-Chief for the Fulcrum. Kane found herself in the position after the Editor-in-Chief gave a friendly push to work for the organization. Kane, who had not worked for The Fulcrum previously, collaborated with almost an entirely new staff to produce this year’s volume.

First semester is relatively relaxed for Fulcrum staff. This time is spent focusing on promoting the submission deadline and spreading word about the organization. The second half of the year is devoted to creating the yearly publication.  

“We have what we call Mayhem Weekend. And that’s where, after our [submission] deadline, we get together a Saturday and Sunday and go through all of our submissions and make our selections,” Kane said.

Mayhem Weekend was comprised of a six-hour Saturday going through every literary piece and a shorter Sunday devoted to selecting works of visual art and planning the order for all the pieces in the journal.

“We did the order first, over Mayhem Weekend, ” Kane said.

The order became the driving force in this year’s journal. It became apparent that many pieces reflected attitudes to current events and the stresses of existing in 2019.

“When we were making our order, we kept talking about it as if it was a journey,” Kane said. “Our mindset was [the journal] would grow to this intense peak and then end in this more restful, peaceful place.”

The edition saw its submissions as a part of an epoch, all speaking the distinctive traits of this modern age. Kane said the order in the “Epoch” issue was more intentional than past Fulcrum publications. According to Kane, she believes this creates an interesting story among the pieces and hopes it encourages reading the journal front and back.  

“Epoch” will soon be available for campus consumption. Eager readers can attend the volume’s release party held May 3 in Anderson 112. The event will celebrate the published works, have a reading from the authors of their pieces and free food with various dietary options.