HUSC Presidential Elections Kickoff

Chloe Kucera, News Reporter

HUSC (Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress) has commenced campaigning for the 2023-24 Presidential Elections. 

In these elections, students will be voting for Internal President and External President who run together on the same platform. 

According to the 2023-24 HUSC example election packet, the main role of External President is to “oversee all student congress activities” and “to act as the official voice of the Hamline undergraduate student body.” 

The main roles of the Internal President is “to assume the responsibilities of the External President in their absence or in the event of the External President’s inability to continue to serve” and “to assist the External President with the Student Congress as the External President sees fit.”

Candidates were officially announced on Monday, Feb. 20. There are two pairs running for the presidency: juniors Travis Matthews (External) and Abi Grace Mart (Internal), and juniors Josh Sedarski (External) and Sophia Hamann (Internal). Matthews and Mart are members of the HUSC Executive Board and Sedarski is a HUSC junior class representative. Hamann is not a current HUSC member.

Campaigning started throughout the week of Feb. 20, giving co-candidates the ability to share their platforms with students. A campaign violation for the Sedarski/Hamann ticket delayed their campaign start date until Feb. 22.

The informal presidential debate will be on Feb. 22 from 7-9 p.m. in Anderson Student Center. During this time, attendees will be able ask any questions they have for the candidates regarding their platform. There will be a livestream option for those who cannot attend. 

The formal debate will be on March 1 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in Sundin Music Hall. For this debate, candidates will be asked a series of set questions from HUSC. This debate will also have a livestream option.

Voting for presidential candidates begins on March 6 at 8 a.m. and closes March 8 at 8 p.m. There will be a form open to students during that time to cast their votes. 

HUSC is excited to kick off the election season! We invite students to attend the debates to learn more about the Co-Presidential Candidates and vote on March 6-8!” Hamline’s 2022-2023 External President Emily Hilderbrand said via email.