Hamline’s continued presidential search

In April 2023, Hamline University President Fayneese Miller announced her retirement. Over the past six months, the Acting/Interim Presidential Search Committee has been working hard to find a new president for the university after Miller’s eight-year career.
“It has been an honor and privilege to lead Hamline University, an institution that values social justice, equity, inclusion, and civic engagement through its service-learning opportunities for students and curriculum offerings,” Miller said in a press conference on April 3. “I am proud that Hamline recently received significant federal funding and targeted increased private donations to support paid internships, which will afford widespread opportunity for Hamline students for paid real-world employment experiences. It has been a pleasure working together with board members, students, faculty, staff, and the community in enhancing Hamline University’s strong commitment to maintaining high academic standards, creating a sense of belonging for all on campus and developing students who understand and appreciate their role as members of a civil society,”
The Acting/Interim Presidential Search Committee is made up of 11 individuals in various positions: seven members from the Board of Trustees—an independently operated group that makes financial decisions relating to the mission and direction of Hamline University—two faculty members, one staff member and one student. This includes Cindy Gregorson, Philip Bell, Robin Dietz-Mayfield, Bryce Doty, Patrick Hectorne, Brenda Edmondson Heim and Gwen Lerner from the Board; Samantha Snyder Cakir and Sam Imbo from faculty; staff member Patrick Haught and student Abi Grace Mart.
On June 14, committee members met to discuss the qualifications candidates should possess and the timetable the search should follow. At the end of June, the Acting/Interim Presidential Search Committee published the position profile and had a listening session in which they heard voices from the Faculty Council, Hamline University Staff Association, Hamline University Student Congress (HUSC), the President’s Leadership Team and the Alumni Board.
Throughout July, the committee continued to seek out candidates for the position and began to narrow down their pool of candidates.
As August rolled around, the committee held in-person interviews with potential candidates and by Aug. 30 had narrowed down their selection to the final four.
The Acting/Interim Presidential Search Committee has numerous requirements and qualifications that presidential candidates must meet.
“An existing or former relationship with Hamline will be seen as a plus in identifying finalist candidates as well as non-traditional candidates who have previously led turnarounds in their field. As an institution of higher education, it is preferred that the leader has a graduate-level degree; however, experience will be accepted in lieu of education,” reads the presidential position profile. Additionally, the committee is asking that candidates possess the following qualities and experiences: organizational leadership, financial leadership, experience in leading change and experience in leading collaboratively.
Candidates must also have the ability to pick up where Miller left off.
“In 2019, Hamline University adopted “Leading for the Future,” a five-year strategic plan to achieve Hamline’s vision to be recognized as a diverse, learning-centered university. The plan offers strategic guidance for the president, board of trustees, faculty, and staff as they collaborate to continue to build the Hamline University of the future. Goals include: enhance educational relevance and distinction; enhance opportunities for student retention and success; enhance opportunities to become a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse Hamline community; plan the Hamline campus and community of the 21st Century; ensure the continuance of a sustainable financial model; and increase philanthropic support for the university,” reads the presidential position profile.
The Acting/Interim President is expected to begin work at Hamline University sometime after Jan. 1, 2024, after which the Board of Trustees will begin the search for a long term president.