Gathering community to reduce gun violence

Hamline opens a new center for violence prevention in Drew Residence Hall
Conan Searcy
Director of Development Sinead Barry works in the newly opened Violence Prevention Project offices.

Studying for exams, prepping for teaching and figuring out what to buy from Leo’s Corner are just a few things that many members of the Hamline community might have to think about on a daily basis. With the opening of their new center in Drew Residence Hall (DRH), organizations like the Violence Prevention Project (VPP) are utilizing research and community action to ensure that violence, particularly gun violence, is not an added fear for any student, faculty or staff member across the nation.
The VPP was formed in 2017, stemming from a research project focused on mass shootings and understanding the history and stories of those enacting violence. Although this research was led initially by a small volunteer group, the effects have reverberated across the country.
“We started as a volunteer group building a database. And then we got this big influx of funding from the National Institute of Justice,” Jillian Peterson, professor of criminology at Hamline and the executive director of the VPP, said. “And that research project kind of exploded, it got a ton of attention. We wrote a book about it, we released the data publicly, so it could be downloaded and used by anybody who wanted to use it.”
Like most facets of our society at the time, the research project’s progress was slowed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Their monetary dry spell would not last long, however, due to investors both from the private and public sectors.
“We got this very exciting influx of money from the Minnesota Legislature,” James Densley, professor of criminology at Metro State University and deputy director of the VPP, said. “So the Minnesota legislature gave us a million dollars over two years to continue gun violence research,and that was then the opportunity to turn the nonprofit organization into a full fledged research center, which is now what it is at Hamline.”

Books on the topic of gun violence and prevention fill shelves in the Violence Prevention Project offices (Conan Searcy)

Densley emphasized the crucial role that both students and Hamline University at large played in creating the project we know today, especially when the research was still in its developmental stages.
“It was Hamline students that were working on that project even back then. That grant came through Hamline University, and it was Hamline students that were helping code the database and helping do some of the on-the-ground research with us,” Densley said.
Peterson echoed this statement, offering a vital look at how the VPP extends much farther than just universities.
“It’s data and research to prevent all forms of violence, particularly homicide, and particularly gun homicides. But we are looking at all forms of K-12, schools, houses of worship, college homicides, opinions about homicide, exposure to homicide, and the focus is really kind of data driven and nonpartisan. How do we bring people together, how [do we] humanize these stories?” Peterson said.
Part of the uniqueness and significance of the VPP is found in their work with incarcerated individuals.
“It’s really about not looking at the offenders as monsters, but as human beings who are in crisis and who just need kindness and compassion. Let’s get all the way back to how we can help them,” Director of Development for the VPP, Sinéad Barry, said.
Barry continued to highlight the importance of looking into a perpetrator’s history so preventative measures can be implemented for those showing risk of inciting violence.
“Even if we can dive as far into the families, and help these people who are at risk, or in crisis for these types of things … it’ll be a game changer for our entire society and entire culture.”
The brand new Violence Prevention Center can be found on the first floor of Drew Residence Hall (DRH), in DRH 66. To learn more about past, present and future research, as well as opportunities for further education, visit hamline.edu/violence-prevention-project-research-center.