Therapeutic benefits of dog adoption

During the Pandemic there was a surge in pet adoption with the advent of working from home, many people who otherwise felt owning a dog would be irresponsible were suddenly faced with the ability to potty train! Even more, humankind was going through so much uncertainty and isolation, that adopting a dog provided a much-needed companion. Did you know there is a growing field of science that studies the psychological, biological, and social benefits of owning a dog? There is quite a bit of crossover for adopting other animal species as well, but we’re going to focus on dogs!
It might seem obvious that while adopting a dog makes it more challenging to travel, it comes with a lot of joy. Although, just how many positive health benefits are we talking about?
Soft sciences can be a bit hard to pin down due to a wide array of circumstances within populations. However, starting with psychological benefits, multiple studies have concluded that frequent interactions with dogs can reduce depression (Gee et al., 2021). There is some evidence that points to dog ownership reducing loneliness in certain populations of people. Anxiety is also frequently studied in human and dog relationships, and therapy dogs can reduce anxiety and distress levels (Gee et al., 2021).
Dogs can play the role of an unconditional loving and nonjudgmental presence which can be grounding in times of stress. Petting and cuddling a dog can act as a positive sensory experience and can also elevate dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin. Oxytocin contributes to our ability to trust and bond with others. All these positive chemicals lower stress levels in the body.
There is a snowball effect between psychological, biological, and social systems within the body. They all affect one another. You lower cortisol and other stress markers by petting a dog and releasing positive chemicals in your body. This lowers blood pressure and slows your heart rate. The combination may allow us to feel less lonely and depressed. In return our self-esteem may go up, allowing us to feel happier and more optimistic about life. This of course is dependent on your perceived relationship with that dog, and the temperament of that dog. However, if you love dogs and find a dog you love, your odds for positive health benefits are rather good!
There was even an 8-week-long study conducted in a university setting that showed that students who interacted with therapy dogs for the 8 weeks had less homesickness and felt more satisfied with their lives (Binfet et al., 2018).
Dog owners tend to be more likely to exercise 150 minutes (about 2 and a half hours) a week than their counterparts. This in return lowers blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides (Walecki, 2024). It’s a lot easier to abandon your health than it is to abandon your dogs. Dogs tend to give a lot of visual and verbal cues when they need exercise, and this can help get the owner out the door. The good thing is taking good care of your dog will in return take good care of you. That’s what makes them such amazing companion animals!
Dog owners confront a lot of social interactions at dog parks, and out in the world. Talking to other dog owners or people who like dogs automatically creates an even playing field. You already have something in common and a topic of conversation. These easy-going social interactions allow us to feel less alone in the world, and more at ease.
Adopting a dog has a lot of health benefits and can make a significant impact on our well-being. The cost-benefit analysis might be more appealing than you previously thought. Before adopting a dog make sure that you are financially ready to support them. It’s a big-time commitment, and it’s unethical to take in a dog you’re not ready to care for properly. Check out therapy dog events on campus, or go to a dog park by yourself, who cares!

References
Gee, N. R., Rodriguez, K. E., Fine, A. H., & Trammell, J. P. (2021, March 30). Dogs supporting human health and well-being: A biopsychosocial approach. Frontiers in veterinary science. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8042315/#B16
Fagan, A. (2020, October 26). The psychological and physical benefits of having a pet. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-mind-body-connection/202010/the-psychological-and-physical-benefits-having-pet
Binfet, J. T., Passmore, H. A., Cebry, A., Struik, K., & McKay, C. (2018). Reducing university
students’ stress through a drop-in canine-therapy program. Journal of Mental
Health, 27(3), 197–204. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638237.2017.1417551
Walecki, N. (2024, February 5). The health benefits of owning a pet. Harvard Magazine. https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2023/04/health-benefits-of-owning-pets