Another year, another homecoming loss

Despite a tough loss last Saturday, the football squad continues to progress in their rebuilding process.

Sophomore Austin Duncan tackled by the Gusties after rush attempt. (Photo by Gino Terrell)

Alex Piche, Reporter

Homecoming week kicked off this past Saturday afternoon, Oct. 5, with the annual football game at Klas Field. The Hamline squad faced tough opponent Gustavus Adolphus College in front of a full-capacity crowd.

Going into the game, head football coach Chad Rogosheske and running back sophomore Austin Duncan was very optimistic about the team’s week of preparation leading up to the game.

“I felt like we had a good week,” said Rogosheske.

He and the staff pumped up the team during their week of preparation. The staff talked to the team about bringing things like energy, enthusiasm, focus and responsibility with them to each and every practice. By Friday, Rogosheske felt the team had taken a “step forward this week” in practice.

Duncan shared the coach’s enthusiasm.

“The team has prepared well. We have studied their film and the coaches have came up with a good game plan…we have had a pretty good week in practice as well,” said Duncan.

When asked what the most important thing the team could do to accomplish a win Coach Rogosheske emphasized the need for effort.

“[Effort is the] same thing we have been stressing…we need their best,” said Rogosheske.

Rogosheske feels that if everyone gives their best effort individually, the whole team gets better.

Duncan saw the need to capitalize on offensive momentum as being critical to Saturday’s game.

“We need to finish our drives, lately we have been able to drive [down the field], just unable to finish the drive [with points],” he said.

Duncan also talked about the need to “play physically and mentally tough” as well as “win the special teams…and the turnover battle.”

Personally, Duncan felt positive about his preparation and believed he was ready to go physically as well as mentally.

“I am prepared. My legs are back under me and my body is feeling less sore. I feel confident in the new plays and…am ready for Saturday,” he said.

Unfortunately come Saturday, the preparation did not end how the Piper fans were hoping as the team lost 52-7 to the Gusties. The inability to sustain drives became a problem throughout the first half as Hamline was not able to set up a drive with more than two first downs.

Hamline’s longest drive of the first half came on their first possession after the opening kick-off. Starting at their own 21 yard line,

Sophomore defensive back Julian Stubbs set to defend the Pipers endzone as the Gusties are threatening in the redzone. (Photo by Gino Terrell)
Sophomore defensive back Julian Stubbs set to defend the Pipers endzone as the Gusties are threatening in the redzone.
(Photo by Gino Terrell)

Duncan achieved the first three runs for a combined 22 yards before having to come out of the game for a play when his helmet came off. On that play Quarterback Tim Bona, sophomore, completed his first pass to first-year wide receiver Naji El-Araby for 11 yards, and Hamline had its second first down in only four plays as they moved into Gustavus territory on their 46 yard line. Two plays later, a tipped pass was intercepted and returned to the Hamline 33 yard line, which set Gustavus’ up for a 30-yard field goal that provided them with their first points of the game.

Hamline’s offense would not get more than one first down until the third quarter when the game was already too far out of reach at 52-0. However, one of the few bright spots came from

Duncan, who gained 125 yards rushing on 27 carries, and remains the lead rusher in the MIAC.

Other notable offense performances came from wide receivers El-Araby who gained 33 yards on four catches, and sophomore Phillip Sherman gaining 39 yards on three catches.

Notable defensive performances came from senior Derek Wilson who recorded two sacks along with a tackle. Also first-year Anthony Hill and sophomore Matt Wildes each had 10 tackles to lead the team. Bona showed some versatility by punting five times for a total of 191 yards averaging 38.2 yards per punt.

In the fourth quarter, Hamline showed persistence despite their powerhouse opponent.

By not giving up in the game, they were rewarded and finally able to break the shutout. After getting good starting field position for the second time in a row, the Pipers were able to put together a touchdown drive. Starting at their 42 yard line, Duncan ran four times for 20 yards and Tim Bona completed a 14 yard pass to Sherman, who all set up a three yard touchdown run by Duncan on his fifth carry of the drive. Loyal fans that stayed for the entire game were finally given a chance to cheer at the end of the game.

Sadly, the Pipers and their fans did not get what they were hoping for over the weekend, but the coaches will find some positives amongst the many teaching moments that stemmed from this game. One key factor in Saturday’s game was the support the team received from the campus.

The student section was packed full of undergrads decked out in Hamline apparel, the band came out, and people continued to cheer throughout the game. Football programs are not turned around overnight, but when the players know they are supported it makes it easier to continue to work hard in practice as well as stay positive the week after a game like this.

One thing that Rogosheske continues to preach to his players is to make progress.

“End the day better than you started,” said Rogosheske.

He knows that by getting a little better each day and motivating players to give their best effort, a winning program can be built step by step.