Father of 3M innovation returns to Hamline

Jorge Rivas, Copy Editor

This past January, Roger Appeldorn (‘57), former corporate scientist for 3M, returned to his alma mater to co-teach a special topics J-term course called “The Process of Innovation” with Bruce Bolon, the Physics Department Chair. Roger Appeldorn’s contributions are estimated to provide nearly 30% of 3M’s yearly profits and his success can be largely attributed to his unique approach to innovation.

Despite his success in the field, Roger Appeldorn wasn’t always a scientist. He came to Hamline for a Legal Studies major and tried his hand in multiple subjects before finding his passion.

“I switched to engineering, then electrical engineering, then I ended up majoring in Physics and Mathematics!” Appeldorn said with a chuckle.

Starting at 3M as a sophomore assembling and shipping samples to customers, he moved on to become a lab technician in the first step of a 3M career that lasted over 40 years. His most significant technology contribution, microreplication, involves covering sheets of materials, like plastic, with thousands of precise microscopic geometric shapes. First used to increase brightness in overhead projectors, microreplication has since been used to create improvements in road signs, sandpaper and golf gloves.

Thanks to his contributions and the work of other corporate scientists, 3M became a worldwide leader in innovative technology. In a company as big as 3M, however, even a successful scientist can face obstacles in reaching goals. Appeldorn was often forced to go out of his department to find needed equipment, and bent the rules more than once to make sure that his goals could be achieved.

He is grateful for 3M’s environment of experimentation and resourcefulness, a climate that, taught him “how to use resources. Not just internal resources, but external resources as well.”

Appeldorn had some fond memories of his time as an undergrad at Hamline, which included being a part of A Capella choir and encountering a very special individual.

“I met my wife here, so that was a positive,” he said with another chuckle.

When Appeldorn retired, he saw an opportunity to teach college students the laws of innovation he learned throughout his time at 3M. He partnered with Bolon to invite former colleagues and common acquaintances from 3M to speak and offer lessons they’d learned along the way. Speakers such as Dr. George Dierberger and Jacquelyne Byrd offered presentations on issues they had faced as they tried to accomplish goals in a large and increasingly bureaucratic organization.

“Innovation does not require a revolution, it is an investment in people,” Dierberger taught.

Appeldorn reiterated time and again how success is created by investing in people and an environment that is fun, free and forgiving.

“The number one motivator for my time there was fun. It’s easy to do things when you enjoy doing things that are good, that help people and help make the world a better place,” he said.

Right now, the two plan on offering the course, “The Process of Innovation,” again next year over J-Term. The course was offered in the Physics Department, but students from all backgrounds are encouraged to join.