Sex in the Dark; the coitus conversation

Students flock to annual Peer Ed. event.

Junior Eden Rome demonstrates the correct way to put on a condom.

Joe Dumas

Joe Dumas, Reporter

Sex. The word itself elicits a wide range of reactions when written on a page. Some might giggle at the word, others may feel uncomfortable and a few people may even respond with anger. Regardless, sex is a topic that has long been surrounded by stigma and dissention. These are exactly the reasons why the students of Hamline hold events like Sex in the Dark.

When asked about the purpose of Sex in the Dark, Peer Education member Catherine Jacobson said “It’s important because it gives us an opportunity to get rid of the stigma and make people more comfortable discussing sex.” With a smorgasbord of snacks, games, informative materials and free prophylactics, this event creates a welcoming and fun environment where students can freely ask questions and get answers without the need to feel ashamed or nervous.

Sex in the Dark took place on Tuesday, Oct. 6 in Anderson Center. The energy in the room was almost physically tangible. Students holding plates loaded with complimentary aphrodisiac munchies listened intently as Peer Education members read clues for condom bingo. Condom bingo is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of using a marker or chip, spaces on a bingo card are covered by condoms. For example, if the clue was “This is the word for the administration of oral sex on a woman,” students would put a condom over the word “cunninglingus” on their bingo card.

During the bingo game, there were periodic breaks during which a Peer Ed. member would shout something like “The first two people to get into the doggystyle position get a prize” or “Name three types of birth control!” All the while, a hand-picked playlist of love-themed music thumped in the background. Other activities included condom crafts, free chocolate fondue, and a game of Jenga that emphasized the importance of consent.

Freshman Jessie Hassebroek came to the event with a group of friends. “I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s great to see that Hamline sponsors an event like this. Sex just isn’t something people our age talk about.” Many attendees share that same train of thought, not knowing exactly what Sex in the Dark is about. After taking part in the event, however, students leave with a great deal of information and the knowledge that there are a number of valuable resources on campus regarding safe sexual practices.

Though the event is meant to be light-hearted and fun, some of the issues being addressed are neither. The Peer Ed. members make a point to stress the importance of consent as well as protecting yourself from serious issues like STIs and pregnancy. Free contraceptives are available in many locations around campus and diagnostic services and informative materials are offered by the office of Health and Safety.

As mentioned before, Sex in the Dark is an annual event organized by the Hamline Peer Educators. These hard-working students also arrange other exciting and informative events throughout the school year such as Thirsty Thursday, an event to discuss the effects of alcohol, how to be smart in environments where alcohol is present and how to make safe choices while drinking.

HU Peer Educators also host the annual Stress Fest event, providing students with healthy ways to alleviate stress during finals. Future Peer Education events can be found in the Piper Planner or on their Facebook Page, “Hamline University Peer Education”.