Power of One day cause of controversy

Hamlines fundraising events detract attention from Veteran’s Day.

Kalli Wilson, Reporter

Veteran’s Day, on Nov. 11, is an official United States holiday, honoring those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Each year, this day aims to recognize America’s veterans for their willingness to serve and sacrifice.

This year, Nov. 11 also marks Hamline’s second annual 24-hour giving event, the Power of One Day. Everyone, including many alumni, have been encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity that the Power of One Day event provides to make a gift to the Hamline community.

An invitation to participate in the latter was the message received by alumnus and President Emeritus of Hamline’s Veteran’s Organization, Don Allen (‘15). According to the committee’s definition, the Power of One Day attempts to provide a means through which the community collaborates to support the students. Allen, upon being notified of this event, felt a sense of disturbance for the Hamline University’s veteran community.

“It says nothing there about Veterans at all, it’s just going to be launched on Veteran’s Day,” said Allen.

In 2012, Allen founded the veteran’s Organization on campus and, for the last few years, it has tried to build awareness for Veteran’s Day. The Power of One campaign, said Allen, “is overused and underrated.”  Allen wondered why the fundraiser was being held on the same day as Veteran’s Day.

According to Tony Grundhauser, Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations, part of the planning within the fundraiser includes a way to support veterans.

“A new major gift to endow scholarships for veterans in our graduate programs, as well as an additional challenge gift designed as incentive for donors to give to scholarships supporting all veterans at Hamline,” said Grundhauser.

On Thursday, Oct. 29, President Fayneese Miller signed an endowment agreement to establish a Veterans’ scholarship.

“The Power of One is not for Veteran’s Scholarship, it’s for the overall, general property expenses,” Allen said. His criticisms are rooted, also, in his experience with the ownership of a marketing company that deals with large organizations. “It’s time to retool that whole campaign,” he said, “If we’re going to climb out [of debt] we’re going to have to be a little bit more creative, think outside of the box.”

Last year, on the first Power of One Day, 555 total gifts and more than $106,000 were raised for Hamline University in 24 hours. This money can be put towards many different uses and departments on campus. Controversy lies in which areas specifically will benefit from the fundraising.

According to Allen, many have “realize[d] the political clout.” It’s the “innocence of not knowing, and arrogance of not asking how,” he said.

Tony Grundhauser and other individuals from Development and Alumni Relations were not able to provide further comments before the publication of this issue, but look for a follow-up story in our next issue of The Oracle.