HUSC looks forward

HUSC makes plans for new improvements at Hamline.

Jackson Chell, Reporter

Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC), wants students to know that it is an always available resource for student learning and involvement.

“If you have an issue, we want to help you resolve it,” said Eric Yeakel, president of HUSC. Yeakel is one of 10 executive officers of HUSC, and they work with other respresentatives towards improving student life at Hamline, which can range from handling things such as the budget of particular orgs on campus, or hosting events for students to engage and network in.

For each of its meetings, HUSC engages in a roll call of members currently present, along with having executive officers give progress updates on their assigned duties for the week. Following this, any present administration also give an update on any current happenings on campus. For the rest of the meeting, new business and ongoing business are discussed, and the meeting is concluded with an open forum for anyone to bring up anything they might believe relevant.

So far this year, HUSC has completed several initiatives, such as having open office hours with President Miller, opening up conversation with campus engagement and, several on campus events. In addition, HUSC is currently working on other new items to implement, one potential item being the addition of cell phone charging stations on campus.

In previous years, HUSC has had a big impact on the Hamline campus, such as the creation of Mulkern Court and the game room in Sorin, provided dvd’s to the library, oversaw the installation of the bike repair station, and the addition of workout machines in Walker Field House. Also In addition, HUSC has had a significant role over the years of many policy changes at Hamline, though in more recent years has become more focused on events and engagement with student organizations.

HUSC also closely works with the administration at Hamline. Besides having administration attend the weekly HUSC meeting, HUSC has weekly meetings with Dean Sickbert, monthly meetings with President Miller, and continues to serve on several administrative committees such as the tech committee, to keep a positive relationship between the student body and the administration.

HUSC isn’t perfect though, and many organizations have expressed disappointment with the timeliness of items such as budget proposals. Yeakel explained that these instances often take so long due to the required budgeting process, and is confident frustrations would be quelled with a better understanding of the process.

HUSC is one of the oldest student organizations on campus. While it has gone through some name changes over the years, there are records that date back to the 1950s

When asked what HUSC wanted to say to the Hamline campus, HUSC officers and members wanted to let people know that their HUSC’s doors are always open for any student to raise any issue they might have, and if an officer isn’t able to answer the question themselves, they’ll be happy to direct the question to someone that can answer it, with Yeakel stating, “ Everyone is a member of  HUSC, and everyone can vote on these issues.”