Talking about it; Title IX

Nine basic questions about Title IX.

Rikka Bakken, Editor-in-Chief

In an effort to maintain open dialogue about sexual violence, Hamline’s Title IX office organized two “Let’s Talk”
programs in recent weeks.

Students who attended these programs, in addition to viewing a short presentation on the basics of Title IX and Hamline’s Sexual Misconduct Policy, were given the opportunity to ask questions and raise concerns regarding sexual violence on campus.

In light of these discussions and the fact that April is Sexual Violence Awareness Month, the Oracle would like to take the opportunity to provide a short list of basic facts about Title IX and Hamline’s sexual misconduct policy.

What is Title IX?

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

20 U.S.C. A§ 1681

What is the Violence Against Women Act?

The Violence Against Women ACT (VAWA) was enacted by Congress in 1994, and in addition to introducing tougher provisions to hold offenders accountable, it created new programs and services to assist victims of sexual violence. One example of a service this act of legislation ensures is that no victim is required to pay for a rape exam. Rape exams are free.

whitehouse.gov

What is the Campus SaVE Act?

The Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act (SaVE) is, as the name suggests, aimed at dealing with problems that are especially relevent to campus safety. It addresses policies regarding transparency, accountability and education. The SaVE act also sets the groundwork for collaboration between the U.S. Departments of Justice, Education and Health and Human Services.

clerycenter.org

What is the Clery Act?

The Jeanne Clery Act, passed in 1990, is a federal law requiring all universities that receive federal funding to provide the public with information regarding crimes that occur on campus.

clerycenter.org

What is Hamline’s Amnesty Policy?

“When on campus and assisting an individual who is intoxicated or under the influence of illegal drugs and who needs medical assistance or assistance due to a sexual assault by alerting university staff (e.g., RA, residence professional staff member, Office of Safety & Security) or other appropriate authorities, neither the impaired individual nor those who seek such help will be subject to formal disciplinary action for violation of this policy.”

There are other stipulations that go along with the amnesty policy (the full policy can be found at https://www.hamline.edu/policies/alcohol/), but the goal of the policy is to encourage to seek help for themselves or their friends when in dangerous situations without fear of getting in trouble.

hamline.edu/policies

What is a S.A.N.E. Nurse?

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (S.A.N.E.) have special training enabling them to conduct a forensic medical evaluation that would be admissible in court. Every hospital in St. Paul has a S.A.N.E. nurse program, including Regions Hospital. A list of all S.A.N.E. programs in Minnesota can be found at www.mnforensicnurses.org/?page_id=51.

Evidence for a rape kit can be collected up to 96 hours after an incidence of sexual assault. For more information on what an examination is like, students can look on Hamline’s website (http://www.hamline.edu/student-resources/sexual-violence-prevention/emergency-resource-and-reporting/), or they can contact the Title IX offices or Health Services.

forensicnurses.org 

and hamline.edu

What is an SOS advocate?

Sexual Offense Services (SOS) is a free resource that provides crisis services 24/7. SOS advocates also specialize in answering any questions survivors of sexual assault have regarding care or legal options.

ramseycounty.us

Who is a mandatory reporter?

On campus, faculty members are mandatory reporters, meaning that if informed by a student of an incident involving a violation of the sexual misconduct policy, a faculty member must report that incident to Title IX Director Patti Klein.

hamline.edu

Who is not a mandatory reporter?

Health and Counseling Services are a confidential resource for students and are not required to report to the university. They can assist students who wish to report to do so if that student desires.

Likewise, Rev. Nancy Victorin-Vangerud and Rabbi Esther Adler are also confidential resources.

Survivors also have the option of reporting online via a google form found at www.hamline.edu/student-resources/sexual-violence-prevention/reporting/. The form can be filled out anonymously if the student desires. Only Klein and Assistant Title IX Director t. aaron hans view the document.

hamline.edu

Can students serve on review committees?

Review committees are made up of three University employees who have undergone training on the sexual misconduct code. Students are not able to serve on these committees, but they can serve on the university conduct board. Anyone interested in serving on a conduct board can contact Director of Residential Life Javier Gutierrez.

hamline.edu