5K: a student run affair

Business management class organizes 5K.

Nate Correia, Senior Reporter

This Saturday,  April 23, Hamline’s management class welcomes all Hamline students to participate in a 5K walk and local charity fundraiser. The Foundations of Management class has been sponsoring this walk every year since 2012 in support of Disabled American Veterans. Back in 2012, students  the class worked with the DAV to host a 5K fundraiser walk. At the request of the DAV, the 5K walk has been happening annually ever since.

“The run is a 5K run, walk or roll. That way anyone can participate.” said student Tyler Stahl. Remarking on the purpose behind the event, former Foundations of Management student, Mitchell LeTourneau said “Veterans have given so much to us. It’s nice to give back to them in any way we can.”

All Hamline students majoring in business management enroll in Foundations of Management. The class focuses on various aspects of being an effective manager in the business world.

Regarding the participation in the event, Andrews said, “An experience like managing a 5K fundraiser fundamentally changes a student’s view of management. Well-done management often goes unnoticed. It’s only once management starts trying to wing it or doesn’t do well that people notice management is struggling.” Thus the management class works to organize the 5K fundraiser in order to learn how to apply their skills in a very real way.  LeTourneau looked back on his experience in being a student of the class last year, saying, “Hamline service learning project is one of the best experiences I’ve had working as a team, as a leader and with an outside foundation.”

“The class is solely responsible for putting on the event,” said junior Stahl, “from registration, finances, marketing, operations, distribution, merchandise, you name it.” Professor Andrews also said, “It sounds easy on paper.”

Andrews also said “But the reality of being in management is that what sounds easy usually isn’t. “It’s a misunderstanding that management can wing it without a plan.” But effective management is rarely that easy. Like any other big project in life, unexpected problems arise, work doesn’t get done, and various other problems pop up midway. Remarking on the reality of management, Andrews also said, “It’s expected for students to learn what to do when things don’t go according to plan.”

For all interested, the event will be held at Lake Phalen in St Paul, starting at 9 a.m. The price for adults is $25 and up, and the price for students is $5. Registration is due on the day of the event, April 23, and all who register before April 20 are guaranteed a complimentary T-shirt.