Quarterbacks ripe for the picking

Senior defensive back Zach Schwalbach terrorizes MIAC quarterbacks.

Taylor Geer

Schwalbach prepares for a defensive snap late in the fourth quarter of the Pipers’ 21-7 defeat of Macalester on Saturday, Sept. 10.

Josh Dungan, Sports Editor

There’s an inherent sex appeal to football statistics like interceptions and game-winning touchdowns. Interceptions are especially sexy for defensive players; it’s the stat that all quarterbacks desperately try to avoid and the one that defensive backs pride themselves on putting up.

Senior defensive back Zach Schwalbach has been especially good at making life difficult for Piper opponents this season. As of Nov. 3, Schwalbach was tied for third in Division III with six interceptions. He’s racked up six passes defensed, several of which would have been interceptions if he had managed to make the catch. Schwalbach has also totaled 69 tackles, tied for the team lead with senior linebacker Jonny Nguyen.

“This year more than any the interceptions stem from me being in the right spot,” Schwalbach said. “You have to learn from yourself a lot and I look back at my last three seasons and I find myself in the right spot a lot more this year.”

Head coach of the Pipers Chip Taylor has high praise for his senior safety. The two arrived at Hamline the same year and have worked together for all four years, three of which Taylor was acting as Hamline’s defensive coordinator.

“He’s become an extension of myself out on the football field as far as knowing the system inside and out,” Taylor said. “He can get things fixed out on the football field and actually fix things in game so having him play for us has been a blessing.”

Schwalbach, a Stewartville, Minn. native, has been playing football for a long time.

“I started playing football in kindergarten,” Schwalbach said. “I started playing tackle football in fourth grade and started playing football for the school in seventh grade.”

Hamline recruited Schwalbach in the interim period in 2013 when Hamline was between coaches after second-year coach John Pate announced he was stepping down. Pate resigned after two seasons where the Pipers won a total of one game and eventually hired Hamline alum Chad Rogosheske to replace Pate.

“The first person I talked to here was actually Jason Verdugo,” Schwalbach said. “Once I visited Hamline for the first time I knew this was the place I had to be.”

This year has seen the first real signs of life for a football program that has been struggling mightily for nearly two decades in a conference with nationally ranked teams like St. Thomas and St. John’s.

“It feels really rewarding to see improvement,” Schwalbach said. “A lot of guys have helped right the ship. It’s one thing to know you’re a good team, it’s another to have a good record on paper.”

According to Taylor, Schwalbach himself has seen improvement over his time at Hamline.

“He’s improved the most at making plays on the football,” Taylor said. “The past few years he’s been in position and he couldn’t make the play. This year he’s making the plays and as a result it’s showing up in the stats.”

Schwalbach has seen playing time in all four seasons here at Hamline. His first year he had 28 tackles and one pass defended, his sophomore year he picked up his first two collegiate interceptions, had four additional passes defensed, and totaled 71 tackles. His junior year saw him with two more interceptions, a pass defended, and tying for second on the team with 59 tackles.

“He’s been a solid football player for us,” Taylor said. “It makes your job as a coach a lot easier when a player as consistent as he is. He’s able to take criticism well and he gets how to operate at the collegiate level.”

Schwalbach has seen his leadership grow over the years at Hamline and as one of five senior defensive backs. He’s been one of the guys the younger players look to and he has the responsibility to call the defense on the field.

“Years in the past, I’ve let the seniors and captains do the talking and setting the example for us,” Schwalbach said. “This year, I’m leading by example and getting on somebody when I need to.”

Schwalbach will graduate from Hamline with a marketing major and is looking back on his time here with plenty of fond memories.

“For all the first-years out there, your time at Hamline goes fast,” Schwalbach said. “Coach Taylor’s came up to me at the end of my first season and said ‘you only got 31 of these left!’ and now there’s just one left.”

Schwalbach and the Pipers will finish their best season since 1997 at home when they take on Bethel (4-5 MIAC, 4-3 MIAC) this Saturday, Nov. 12 at 1:00 p.m.