Hamline whodunit?

Theta Chi gives students a “clue” into campus organizations.

Campus was buzzing the night of September 22 after Theta Chi Beta Kappa revealed that a professor killed student morale. So began the campus wide search to reveal the murderer’s details and the killer themselves as Live Action Clue Night began.

“I’m confused but eager,” First-Year Sabrina Merritt said right before the event began.

Working with nine other organizations on campus, students dashed from station to station to compete in mini-games in order to earn clues as to who killed the student morale, where the murder took place and why the murder occurred. Among these student organizations were Students Today Leaders Forever (STLF), Students for Sensible Drug Policies at Hamline University (SSPD), Her Campus Hamline (HC), Advocating for Life Illness Visibility and Education (ALIVE), Students Preventing Sexual Violence (SPSV), Marketplace of Ideas (MOI), Hamline Fashion Club, and Asian Pacific American Coalition (APAC).

“We’re really excited for this event because it’s one that incorporates other organizations on campus,” Chris Schaitberger, a sophomore and brother of Theta Chi Beta Kappa, said. He, and his brother John Kwon, agreed that the intention of the event was to bring campus together and really build up the Hamline community.

Tayler Harris, a sophomore on the executive board of SPSV, said SPSV was excited to participate in this event to promote community and collaboration with others on the Hamline campus. Students who stopped at this station participated in trivia in order to receive their clues.

Following the students to the next closest station, they got to interact with MOI.

“It’s a place for civilized but passionate disagreement,” Ben Heaney, the organization’s representative, said about MOI.

Heading over to the Bishop, where Her Campus Hamline’s station was, students donned stockings filled with a tennis ball on their head and raced to knock over a row of water bottles. It was here that sophomore Maria Moran Flores, solving the murder with first-year Brooklynn Worms, expressed how helpful she thought this event was to first years.

“It’s a great scavenger hunt for first years because they get to see campus,” Moran Flores said.

The hunt took students all across campus. From the Bishop to the campus apartments, the vast scope of the locations on campus students visited mimicked the wide range of organizations they interacted with. Sense of community was a key theme throughout Live Action Clue Night.

“It was a great way to see more of campus and learn about other organizations,” said first-year Brooklynn Worms.

With the tour of student organizations at an end, students made their way back to the Theta Chi Beta Kappa house where first, second and third place prizes were awarded.

“The goal was to show first years what is actually going on on campus and give them a glance at life in a fraternity,” sophomore Ryan Saufferer, one of two brotherhood chairs and organizer of the event, said.