Nothing can rain on Hamline’s Piper parade

The 2017 Homecoming football game is one for the books.

Rain or shine – Piper fans exhibited their strong sense of school loyalty and pride during the homecoming football game on Saturday, October 14.  All kinds of festivities and excitement were happening on campus in celebration of the anticipated Homecoming week.  

The spirit squad started off the morning with a rally and led a spirited march to the start of the football game at 1 p.m..  Fans arrived early with painted faces and coveted Piper apparel. A large crowd appeared even with the brisk fall weather at hand.

A combination of the dance team, band and spirit squad made the atmosphere even more exhilarating for the game viewers. The football team started the game strong with a super excited fan base that propelled vibrant energy onto the field.

“I was super excited for the pumped crowd – they even made their own cheers and created a really fun atmosphere,” said Dieu Do, a first-year Hamline student and Spirit Squad member.

The end of the first quarter was 0 to 14, the Cobbers taking the lead. This didn’t stop the dedicated Pipers from giving it their all. Excited students, parents, alumni and faculty alike continued their support with cheers and spirit cries.  A Hamline alumni, James Oerichbauer, Class of ‘96, performed a mini dance and cheer for the fans that he has been doing since he was in school.  He was a member of the cheer team when he was a Hamline student.  

At halftime, the score had reached 17 for Concordia and with 0 still for our beloved Pipers, but yet that still won’t stop them from working their hardest.  Rain started to pour down on Klas field, threatening to put the excitement to a halt.  The wet bleachers and chilly air did not keep cheers at bay. Dancers performed their hearts out for their halftime show, making the crowd go wild.

The team kept their heads in the game and hearts in the right places. The sportsmanship displayed was admirable – Pipers played hard and made gains during the running clock, but gave encouraging pats on the helmets and shoulders of the opposing team no matter what went down during the plays. Quarter three ended with Hamline at 0 and the Cobbers at 38.  

Hamline Alumni, Bob Carlson of ‘70, said, “the Big Bash, campus tours, and the view from the Kay Frederick Ballroom are my favorite parts of Homecoming – it’s great to schmooze with other old people you run into as well.”  

Carlson was also a Sports Editor for the Oracle in his junior and senior years of college.  

The rainy game ended with 0 for Hamline and 45 for the Concordia Cobbers, but the Pipers come out stronger than ever and will not let one loss become a total defeat.