MIAC Roundups

Levi Jones, Reporter

Women’s Soccer

1. St.Scholastica W 5-1

It was a big day for Women’s Soccer on Wednesday the 18. With just four games left in the season they have been fighting for a spot in the playoffs. In the first half of the game first-year Ellie Baxter scored early and was shortly followed by a second goal by firstear Jordan Roderick-Fried. This put Hamline up 2-0 at the end of the first half.

When the second half began St. Scholastica was able to score early on but Hamline quickly responded with another goal by Roderick-Fried. Before the end of the game Roderick-Fried would score again to get the hat trick. With just ten minutes left in the game Senior Brittany Beckman scored setting the final score at 5-1. With a win under their belt the soccer team is ready to go into the last three games of the season.

When asked about these games Head Coach Emily Cripe said, “We are in the middle of the pack, but so is everyone we have left to play.”

This means that the upcomings games are crucial if Hamline wants to make it into the top six and qualify for the playoffs.

Volleyball

@ St.Mary’s L 3-1

Every year the Hamline Volleyball Team dedicates one game to the seniors, this last Friday they did just that in the game against St. Mary’s. Before the game began the team took time to thank Hamline Seniors, Hayley Schroer, Cass Bittle, Marisa Franco, Danica Hanson, and Cassie Doerr.

The first set of the match was fairly one sided with St.Mary’s getting an early ten point lead and prevented the Pipers from tieing it up ending the first set at 25-19 for the Cardinals. The second set was far more competitive with the scores tied to till the end when Hamline was able to pull ahead and win the set 25-22.

Set three maintained this competitiveness for the first half, Hamline not allowing more than a three point difference between scores But eventually the Cardinals were able to keep them at 16 points ending the set 25-16 for the Cardinals. The fourth and final set favoured the Cardinals heavily as they took an early lead and maintained it throughout ending the set at 25-18 for the Cardinals. Overall St.Mary’s won three sets to Hamline’s one. The Hamline Pipers now sit at 3-22 with four games left in the season.

Cross Country

Men’s finish 14th Place

Women’s finish 11th Place

On Saturday the 14 both the Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Teams set out to the UW-La Crosse invite to race against twenty other teams. The men were able to finish with an 14th place standing, the top runner finishing in 39th place overall in the 8k run was sophomore Frank Gustafson with a time of 26:14, followed shortly by junior Kyle Mehrhof who had an overall time of 26:19 placing him in 41st place overall.

The Women’s team placed slightly higher at 11th place the top runner being junior Maddie Dopp who ran a 6k with a time of 23:41 and placing in 44th overall. Coming in at 54th place was first-year Helen Dolan who had a time of 23:59.

Football @ St. Thomas L 0-84

This Saturday the 21 Hamline football took on the St.Thomas Tommies. The game started fast with the Tommies scoring almost immediately and getting the two point conversion.

This was followed by another St. Thomas touchdown before Hamline got the ball and threw an interception that lead to a defensive touchdown for St.Thomas. Before the end of the quarter St.Thomas would score one more time making the score at the end of the first 0-29 for St.Thomas.

The second quarter wasn’t much better for Hamline as St.Thomas scored 4 more touchdowns including one off of a punt return. One of the kickoffs this quarter from St.Thomas was an onside kick that the Tommies recovered. The first half ended with a score of Tommies 57 and Pipers 0.

The third quarter was much of the same as the Tommies were able to score another three touchdowns. At one point Hamline was able to force a fumble at the seven yard line which they were able to recover yet they were unable to get any points from it. The fourth quarter was mostly running plays, the Tommies only scoring once off of their field position from the end of the third. This put the game’s final score at 0-84 for the Tommies.