To Hamline and abroad

Students share study abroad experience as spring deadline looms.

Bree Carey, Reporter

Sophomore Delaney Pederson splits her time between classes, studying and exploring cathedrals and chapels that date back to the 11 Century as she studies abroad this semester. With many other Hamline students, Pederson is spending the fall semester of 2017 studying abroad in York.

“I think the thing that [studying abroad] has changed the most is my outlook on US politics by showing me what it is like to live in a political landscape that isn’t as strong,” Pederson says. “They’re more focused on socioeconomic class in political discourse, there is less focus on religion in political discourse, and there is less paranoia surrounding socialism.”

Hamline University’s Global Involvement Center lists 532 programs for Spring 2018 and 231 for Summer around the world, everywhere from the flashing lights of Shanghai to the vastness of the Tanzanian grasslands. Programs range in price greatly, but for all of them a student is eligible to receive some financial aid or scholarship.

Senior Emily Butts, who studied abroad in Ecuador during Fall 2016, says that going through Hamline’s Hecua program was very affordable. After paying her regular Hamline tuition, she saved money by not paying for housing, which gave her money to use for her plane ticket and other expenses in Ecuador.

As for community, both students attest to the fact that a student bonds closely with other study abroad students and they both made friends for life. Both say they loved their study abroad and would recommend it to everyone who can do it.

Global Engagement Specialist at Hamline, Jackie Combs, shared information on the study abroad programs at Hamline. “Our popular semester programs are the Hamline in York, England program as well as the Cologne Business School program in Cologne, Germany,” Combs said.

She shared that everyone can benefit from study abroad because it exposes you to a different culture.

“Exposure to different values and communication styles helps students grow as scholars and individuals and are invaluable skill-sets that are used even after your time here at Hamline,” Combs said.

If any students want to get in a last minute application for study abroad in Spring 2018, applications are due Nov. 20 so get yours in now!

Combs invites all students to come visit her at the Global Engagement Center. “We work with you each step of the way to help you find an education abroad program that is the best fit for your academic, personal and professional goals.”

Butts shared how studying abroad has changed her view on the world.

“My study abroad taught me that it’s okay to focus more on being a good person than a productive and success-driven one,” she said, “that happiness is defined by the quality of our relationships with others.”

If you are interested in learning more about studying abroad through Hamline visit https://www.hamline.edu/offices/study-abroad.html.