MIAC Roundup: February 26 to March 2

Levi Jones, Reporter

Women’s Hockey @ Gustavus Adolphus 4-1 W

After one of the best seasons in Piper’s Women Hockey history, Hamline was going into the championship game against Gustavus Adolphus with high hopes. Hamline junior Becca Zarembinski scored five minutes and forty-two seconds into the first period. The Pipers scored again in the first period. The second score was by Hamline Sophomore Bre Simon at the 10 minute mark. With under a minute left in the period, Gustavus Adolphus was able to score, ending the period 2-1 in favor of the Pipers. The second period saw the Pipers’ Bre Simon score again, putting the score 3-1 going into the third and final period. The final period sealed Gustavus’ fate as Hamline senior Darby Dodds scored the final goal ending the game 4-1 and making the Hamline Pipers the MIAC Women’s Hockey Champions. The team will advance into the NCAA tournament their next game will be Mar. 10.

Women’s Tennis @ St. Olaf 1-8 L

On Mar. 2, the Women’s Tennis team took on St. Olaf for their sixth game of the season. Going in the team was 3-2 and hoping to stay positive in their score. Unfortunately, St. Olaf proved to much for the Pipers. The singles games provided little hope for the team as their only win came from Hamline first-year Ali Kopiecki who had battled it out in a three set game. Going into the doubles Hamline was down 1-5 and was only hoping to be able to get a few more points before they left. However, they were unable to find any wins in the doubles matches and ended the meet 1-8. The team is now 3-3 overall this season with a record of 0-3 in MIAC games.

Women’s Lacrosse 6-15 L

The Women’s Lacrosse team played their season opener on Sunday Feb. 25. To start the season they traveled to Augsburg to play against Carthage. The game started rough for Hamline as they were down 0-3 after the first seven minutes. Yet at just over 10 minutes, Hamline sophomore Kalley Elwell scored the first goal of the season for the Pipers. Two more goals from Hamline brought the game to a tie at 3-3. Before the half was over Carthage was able to score seven unanswered points ending the first half 3-10 in favor of Carthage. The second half saw the Pipers score three more times before the game ended. Unfortunately, Carthage was able to score another five and the season opener ended 6-15 with a loss for Hamline.

Women’s Gymnastics @ Gustavus Adolphus 184.775-179.525 W

The Hamline Women’s Gymnastics team took on Gustavus Adolphus for their last meet of the regular season. To compete the teams set up their four events in Hutton arena. The meet went entirely to Hamline as they were able to outscore Gustavus in every single event. This included a 1-2-3-4-5 place finish in the Floor Exercise. The Pipers had the high scorer for all four events as well. First up in Vault Hamline senior Alyssa Huch got a 9.475. The next event was the Uneven Parallel bars whose high scorer was junior Morgan Bradford with a 9.275. The third event of the day was Balance Beam which saw Hamline junior Meghan Webb and sophomore Lydia Ingram tie for first with a score of 9.35. The final event for Hamline, and their best event, was the Floor Exercise which was won by senior Alexa Vorderbruggen with a score of 9.700. This win was the last meet of the regular season as the team now goes on to compete in the MIAC championships on Sun. Mar. 4 when they will travel to Gustavus Adolphus and compete again.