Spring means senior recitals

Two Music seniors are excited to present their work.

Kelly Holm, Reporter

It is no secret that the end of senior year can be stressful, but for music majors Alex Kolyszko and Samantha Lindquist, a public recital in Sundin Music Hall is just another rite of passage as the undergraduate years wind down.

Kolyszko, a bass/baritone, says his recital dabbles in a mixture of genres and periods, from baroque and classical to modern-day showtunes.

“There’s a couple oratorios,” Kolyszko said. “Some of the most exciting pieces are from Mozart, two different operas actually. There’s a duet between the Count and Susanna in ‘The Marriage of Figaro;’ it plays around with the foolishness of the aristocracy. This scene in particular has us going back and forth about me wanting to make sure that she loves me.”

In this duet, the part of Susanna will be sung by Lindquist, who is also a Senior Reporter for the Oracle.

Recent musical theatre pieces are also present in Kolyszko’s repertoire, such as “Evermore” from Beauty and the Beast and “Lily’s Eyes” from The Secret Garden, the latter of which is a duet with Kelly Krebs, Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs in the College of Liberal Arts.

“I think my recital is going to be just a good example of just how my voice progressed,” Kolyszko said.

After graduation, Kolyszko plans to apply for a master’s program in voice performance at Chicago’s Roosevelt University, and hopes to study in Europe. His senior recital took place from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Apr. 21.

Lindquist, a soprano, describes her upcoming recital as being “all about girl power.” She said that most of the songs performed were written by female composers and centered around the theme of female empowerment.

“There’s, like, everything from Mozart to Beyonce,” she said.

In addition to a range of classic and contemporary tunes, Lindquist will also be performing two original compositions. Guest musicians include 2017 graduate Martha McDermott on violin, composition professor David Crittenden, junior and Oracle Opinion Editor Karl Bjornerud, senior Logan Micek, and junior and Oracle reporter Samuel Ketcham, all on guitar. Sophomore Alayna Baggenstoss and senior Emily Anderson will form a vocal trio with  Lindquist for Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love,” while McDermott will join her on Beyonce’s “If I Were a Boy.”

“I think I’ve learned, in music in general and throughout working on this recital, just to be persistent. Music can be really, really frustrating… one day you feel like your work is paying off and you’re developing your talent, and the next day you feel like you don’t know what you’ve been doing for the last few years,” Lindquist said. “But, like, that consistency and practicing, and that persistence of being able to push through those negative feelings, I think is worth it.”

While Lindquist is also a Communication Studies major, she still desires to stay involved with music and hopes to perform in a professional or church choir after graduation. Lindquist’s senior recital will be from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Apr. 28.