MIAC roundup – March 11

Marcus Engstran, Reporter

Women’s Tennis vs Carleton (Feb. 29, 2020)

L 0-9

The Hamline women’s tennis team (0-5) fell to Carleton (2-0) on Saturday afternoon by a score of nine to zero.

In doubles, junior Bae Wa and senior Megan Anderson were the only ones to take a game off their opponents at No. 2 doubles, falling 8-1. Senior Tessa Rugg and sophomore Taylor Hopkins played in the No. 1 spot, and sophomore Yee Thao and junior Janie Schwartz teamed up in the No. 3 spot, with both duos falling 8-0.

Rugg played in the No. 1 singles slot, falling 6-1, 6-0 to opponent Madeline Prins. At No. 2 singles, Wa was blanked 6-0, 6-0. Anderson fell 6-0 in the first set to her No. 3 singles opponent, Lingyu Wei, but took two games in in the second set, falling 6-2. 

Both Hopkins (No. 4 singles) and Schwartz (No. 6 singles) fell to their opponents by scores of 6-0, 6-1, and Thao dropped her match 6-2, 6-2.

Softball vs UW-Stevens Point (Feb. 29, 2020 – 6:30 p.m.)

L 3-4

In the first game of the night, the Pointers rallied for three runs in the sixth inning to help them to a 4-3 win over the Pipers. Hamline was outhit in the game 6-2 and had a pair of errors. Senior Blair Tommelein and sophomore Amber Peterson each had a hit for Hamline, with Peterson adding a run batted in (RBI).

UW-Stevens Point scored first, getting a single through to score a runner in the second inning.

The Pipers got on the board in the third, scoring two runs with two outs. Sophomore Anna O’Connor, sophomore Theresa Klinnert and junior Megan Rubbelke all walked to load the bases. They took advantage of an error, scoring two on a dropped ball.

Hamline added another run as Tommelein got on with a bunt single, advanced to second on a wild pitch, and scored on a single from Peterson. 

In the sixth, the Pointers scored three runs on three hits and a walk to take over a 4-3 lead. The Pipers turned a double play to get out of the inning. Hamline had two more at-bats to tie up the game, but were unable to make anything work, leaving the final at 4-3.

Softball vs UW- Stevens Point (Feb. 29, 2020 – 8:30p.m.)

W 3-0

In the second game, the roles were reversed as Hamline outhit the Pointers 5-2. Senior Kira Krueger pitched a complete-game shutout, allowing just two hits and striking out five in the outing. Krueger is 2-0 on the year so far.

Hamline scored their first two runs in the fourth inning as O’Connor got the rally started with a leadoff single. Krueger followed that up with a double through the left side, and Rubbelke intentionally walked to load the bases. First-year Gabby Cook came up with a big hit, singling to center to score Krueger, and then Tommelein scored Rubbelke on a grounder to second base.

The Pipers added to their lead in the sixth as Rubbelke doubled to right center, was bunted over to third by junior Riley Husom and then scored on a ground out from Cook. 

The Pointers threatened in the seventh, getting runners on second and third, but Krueger struck out the final batter to seal the 3-0 win.

Men’s Tennis vs MN Morris (March 1, 2020)

W 7-2

The Hamline men’s tennis team (1-6) earned their first win of the season on Sunday Mar. 1 afternoon, defeating Minnesota Morris (0-1) 7-2. All five Hamline players won in singles and both doubles teams won as well, as the Pipers only lost the two matches they had to default.

At No. 1 doubles, junior Nazeer Robinson and sophomore Tou Ger Xiong won their match 8-3 and in the No. 2 spot, senior Blake Kuether and first-year Allan Yang pulled off an 8-5 victory. 

Xiong cruised through his match at No. 1 singles, winning 6-1, 6-0 and Robinson, playing in the No. 2 spot, won 6-3, 6-1. Kuether was in the No. 3 spot, blanking his opponent in the first set 6-0 and winning his second set 6-3.

At No. 4 singles, Yang defeated his opponent 6-3, 6-3 and at No. 5 singles, first-year Sean Le rallied to win his match in three sets. He dropped the opening set 6-3 but won the next 6-4 to force a third set, where he won 6-4 to take the match.

Baseball vs Crown (March 5, 2020 – 7 p.m.)

W 5-2 (10 innings)

In the first game, the Pipers mounted a comeback, scoring a run in the sixth and seventh innings to force extra innings, where they scored three runs in the 10th to earn the 5-3 win. 

Junior Zack Langton came up with a clutch two-out single for Hamline that drove in two runs in the top of the 10th. Hamline added another run on a double steal with senior Ryan Brauer to put the Pipers up by three.  

Crown tried to respond in the bottom of the inning, loading the bases with only one out, but senior Nolan Hartmann came in for the final two outs and earned his first save of the season.

Crown got off to a 2-0 lead after the third inning, getting two runs on a triple and a homer.

In the sixth, sophomore Cullen Buck doubled and later scored on a single from first-year Mac Enlow. In the seventh, senior Eric Erb was hit by a pitch, stole second, and scored on a throwing error, tying the game at two. 

In the 10th, first-year Tanner Cole and junior Colton Peters each walked, scoring on Langton’s double. 

Senior Ben Resnick earned the win on the mound, allowing no runs on one hit while striking out five. Senior Jimmy Skroch started and gave up two runs on five hits with nine strikeouts in his five innings of work.  

Baseball vs Crown (March 5, 2020 – 9p.m.)

W 3-2

Hamline had another comeback in game two to come out on top, scoring two runs in the sixth to earn a 3-2 win. Sophomore Zach Branson and senior Jake Dujmovic combined to throw a two-hitter in the contest, as Branson earned his first win of the year and Dujmovic was credited with his first save.

Junior Devin Rodgers went 2-2 with a stolen base and a run. Junior Zack Langton, sophomore Avery Nelson and sophomore Stephen Schmidt all had RBIs in the contest.

The Storm scored their two runs in the second inning, taking advantage of a throwing error that got two runs across.

The Pipers answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the third, as Rodgers singled, advanced to second on a groundout, stole third and scored on a groundout from Schmidt.

Hamline would take over in the bottom of the sixth as Langton drove in sophomore Dayton Gutsch on a double to center and would later score on a single from Nelson.  

Men’s Tennis vs Gustavus Adolphus (March 6, 2020)

L 0-9

In their final match before their spring break trip, the Hamline men’s tennis (1-7, 0-4 MIAC) team fell 9-0 to Gustavus (7-2, 2-0 MIAC) on the night of Friday Mar. 6.

Sophomore Tou Ger Xiong and junior Nazeer Robinson gave their opponents at No. 1 doubles (Lawrence Hiquiana and Joel Hug) a tough match, falling just short with the final score being 8-6.

In No. 2 doubles, first-years Allan Yang and Sean Le dropped their match 8-3. The Gusties won the No. 3 doubles match by default.

Xiong, playing at No. 1 singles, took on Punnoose, falling 6-2 in each set. Robinson played Hug in the No. 2 singles slot, also winning multiple games in each set, but falling 6-2, 6-3.

Senior Blake Kuether (No. 3 singles) fell in straight sets (6-0, 6-0) and Yang was defeated 6-0, 6-1. Le played in No. 5 singles, falling 6-0, 6-2 and Gustavus won at No. 6 singles by default.