Helpful resources for first-year and transfer students

A list of five resources to help first-year and transfer students during this out-of-the ordinary semester

Melanie Hopkins

These locations are easy to find and will benefit you greatly.

Leslie Farrera-Perez, Reporter

With everything going on in the world today, navigating college this semester can be difficult for all students, but particularly for first-year and transfer students. Here is a list of five helpful resources to get you through this semester:

Center for Academic Success and Achievement 

The Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) plays an important role in supporting student success at Hamline by providing necessary tools and resources to help them successfully transition to college, make educated decisions and take charge of their development and learning. Services that CASA provides include study skills support, writing and communication, tutoring and academic advising. CASA is located in the lower level of Bush Library. You can contact them by phone at 651-535-2912 and by email at advising@hamline.edu. Appointments can be scheduled by calling during business hours, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m to 5 p.m.

New Student Programs

New Student Programs (NSP) provide New Student Mentors (NSMs), current Hamline students that are willing to help throughout your first year. NSMs are a resource for first-year and transfer students, serving as mentors, answering questions and helping ease the transition to Hamline for new students. Access Hamline is also being provided, which is an extended orientation for transfer students held every other Thursday during their first semester. Topics in this program include preparing for advising week, career development and getting involved on campus. NSP is located West Hall 106A. They can be contacted at 651-523-2165 and newstudentprograms@hamline.edu.

The Career Development Center

The Career Development Center (CDC) helps students prepare for and explore all things related to their major, career, job and/or internships. If you need help polishing your resume, developing job/internship search skills, improving interviewing skills or figuring out the best career path, they are there to help. The CDC is there for all of your career preparation needs. The CDC is located in Drew Science 113. They can be contacted at 651-523-5802 and workshop@hamline.edu. You can also log into Handshake to set up phone or video appointments.

Counseling and Health Services

Counseling and Health Services (CHS) promotes emotional well-being and physical health, striving to enhance student learning. In counseling, psychologists will work to help identify your main concerns, determine a plan of action and work with you to make progress towards goals. Health Services assists in all things related to medical care and medication services. If you have been exposed or diagnosed with COVID-19, they will be there to provide support and help, addressing your safety and the safety of the Hamline community. Counseling and Health Services are located in Manor Hall 16. Appointments can be made from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by calling 651-523-2204.

Wesley Center for Spirituality, Service, and Social Justice

As their statement of purpose says, “The Wesley Center connects the pursuit of the common good with growth of the whole person through compassionate action and courageous reflection.” They assist and provide resources to help students explore interfaith perspectives and grow spiritually, serving the common good and working with others for social justice in our communities. The Wesley Center is located in Anderson 318, and can be contacted at 651-523-2878.