A month of “Melanated Magic”

The month of February is recognized as Black History month by every United States president since President Gerald Fold in 1976. The United States and Canada chose to celebrate during the month of February because both the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglas are in the month of February.

Courtesy of Black Student Collective

Eliza Hagstrom, Variety Editor

With February being Black History Month Hamline’s Black Student Collective (BSC) has a month full of many different events to celebrate Black history and people. The executive board for this organization includes President Jazmin Clausen-Thomas (junior), Vice President Fatima Menawa (junior), Living single,  the Jeffersons, one on one, a different world, moeshaBlack History Month Coordinator and Public Relations Chair Alexis Griffin (senior), Treasurer Pearl Buabeng (junior) and Secretary Mohamed Shukri (sophomore). 

February 1st was the organization’s Black History Month kicks off with a presentation on the history and creation of the event as well as painting supplies for those in attendance to use. The United States and Canada chose to celebrate during the month of February because both the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglas are in the month of February.

President Jazmin Clausen-Thomas and the rest of the board established the theme for this year as “Melanated Magic” and a focus on Black love and representation. 

Wednesday, February 2nd in Anderson 111 Alex and Danyika Leonard spoke as the Black History Month Keynote Speakers. This event had a theme of “loving oneself, black love, and love of community.” 

They still have many events planned for the rest of the month. Friday, February 11th from 7 – 9 pm in the Anderson Forum is the Black History Month Culture Expression Art Show featuring local artists. 

The Sitcom night will feature Black sitcoms “Living single”, “The Jeffersons”, “One On One”, “A Different World” and “Moesha.”