Statement from President Fayneese Miller

I greatly appreciate and thank you for the opportunity to respond to the question of the recent faculty vote.

First and foremost, I want the students and the faculty to understand how deeply I appreciate them and their affection and dedication to Hamline University. At Hamline, the faculty and I both take great care in how our students receive and participate in their education. Supporting our students and honoring our mission requires both listening to the concerns of all members of our community and working collaboratively to uphold our values. I believe we can do both.

For more than 20 years, I was a classroom professor and taught under the principles of academic freedom. Today, that concept is still central to our mission at Hamline. As president of Hamline University, my charge includes upholding academic freedom as a cornerstone of higher education. I will continue to work with students, faculty and the entire Hamline University community to support the best in liberal arts education, with care and respect for all.

I am keenly aware, as is the university as a whole, of the importance of strengthening the trust and confidence both students and faculty have in this 169-year-old institution. I, as an individual, and the university as a whole, will continue to build on that trust not just through our words but also through our actions.

Fayneese Miller, PhD

President