A Spooktacular Halloween at Minneapolis’ ‘Pink Place’ Venue

Oister Boy all dressed like Velma.

Minneapolis has always been a hub for the thriving indie music scene. This past Friday, Pink Place hosted a remarkable Halloween-themed showcase of local talent featuring four local, up-and-coming bands: Virginia’s Basement, Oister Boy, Killed by Kiwis and Anita Velveeta. This night served as a testament to the city’s vibrant musical undercurrent and ability to foster and spotlight emerging talent.
Pink Place, a backyard house venue in Como that opened this summer, proved to be the ideal backdrop for this exhibition of homegrown talent. The Halloween theme added a fun twist to the event. The show was enjoyed by people dressed as cowboys, vampires and much more. With everyone dressed in their Halloween costumes, the venue radiated a welcoming atmosphere, instantly setting the audience at ease. This spirit of togetherness extended to the stage, where four distinct bands unveiled their individual sounds and skills.
The night kicked off with Virginia’s Basement filling the venue with electrifying sounds of indie rock and pop-punk. They even impressed the audience by switching to Spanish for one of their songs. The infectious music led the crowd to dance and sing along. Full of talent and all dressed as jesters, Virginia’s Basement was the perfect opening act.
Oister Boy, with their entire band dressed like Velma from Scooby Doo, was up next. They opened with a thrilling cover of the Scooby Doo theme song. They presented a layered and sonically rich performance. Indie, rock and experimental elements were blended into their music. It showcased their exceptional ability to compose such a dazzling sound. As a result, the audience was left in awe by the musical prowess of Oister Boy’s set.
The third band to take the stage was Killed by Kiwis, which brought a surge of passion to the event. Each member was dressed as someone from the Addams Family and they started their set with the Addams Family theme song. Dressed entirely in a snug-fitting black bodysuit, their keyboardist was “Thing” only leaving one hand revealed to imitate the iconic hand from the Addams Family. They had the audience grooving to the rhythm of their blend of rock-infused sounds. With a commanding voice and an unmistakable stage presence, the lead vocalist of this band delivered a performance embedded with unquestionable talent. With their set, Killed by Kiwis provided a perfect display of Minneapolis’ multifaceted music scene.
There was no better way to end the night than with Anita Velveeta, an artist celebrated for her exciting punk sound. Her music is an excellent reflection of the Minneapolis sound: a little bit punk, a little bit experimental. Anita radiated an aura of feminine rage and emotional depth as she presented their songs. With a blend of exciting punk melodies and softer, vulnerable harmonies, Anita Velveeta finalized the evening’s mood, giving the audience lots to mosh and jump around to.
What set this evening apart was the remarkable sense of unity and encouragement within both the bands and the crowd. These artists, each with their own distinctive sound, illuminated the astounding range and ingenuity in Minneapolis’ independent music scene. The cozy atmosphere of the Pink Place fostered interactions between the musicians and their supporters, transforming the night into a gathering of like-minded friends bonded by their passion for music.
As the night drew to a close, attendees departed Pink Place with a deep sense of satisfaction, having experienced a wide variety of musical genres that contributed to a memorable Halloween celebration. With Pink Place expressing this was their biggest turnout, the event was a reminder that despite the dominance of large commercial productions, the local music scene’s heart and soul continue to flourish.
Sadly, with the chill of winter settling in and Pink Place being an outdoor venue, this show marked the end of their season. Nevertheless, the artists — Virginia’s Basement, Oister Boy, Killed by Kiwis, and Anita Velveeta — left an enduring imprint on Minneapolis’ music landscape, sparking excitement for the potential and promise they hold in shaping the future of music in the city.
Shows like this are a great way to discover new artists and make friends with people who have similar interests. A huge venue for shows is the Underground Music Venue and coffee shops such as PILLLAR Forum and Seward Cafe which often host shows after hours. Local loved bands like Barnacle perform with a few other artists on Nov. 11 at the Seward Cafe. However, most shows occur in people’s houses. Some house venues include The Chop Shop and Como Backdoor. Information about events and addresses can be found through the Instagram accounts of each venue.