Spring registration day approaches

As the end of the fall semester approaches, it is once again time for students to register for their spring semester classes. During the past two weeks, students have been busy visiting their faculty advisors and the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) in preparation for Registration Week.
“In those two weeks, students meet with their faculty advisors not only for class selection for the upcoming semester but often will have conversations around pathways through the major, opportunities for internships or networking, as well as short-term and long-term goals,”Assistant Provost for Student Success and Faculty Development Lisa Nordeen said.
Students must meet with their advisors to lift the registration hold and to make sure they are on track with their major and minor requirements, as well as getting their Hamline plan letters. Along with meeting with their faculty advisors, students can also meet with CASA Advisors to discuss any other academic goals they have for the upcoming semester, or to discuss internship and career options while enrolled as a student.
“CASA advisors often meet with students during advising week as a pre-meeting to their faculty advising meeting,” Nordeen said.
Students must have completed the onboarding tasks ahead of registration and have had advising meetings with advisors prior to registration day in order to access the course options. This proved to be difficult as Workday was down for most of the day on Nov. 2.
This made it impossible for advisors who could not see their advisee’s schedules or lift the registration holds, and for students who needed to make changes to their schedules or finish any remaining onboarding tasks for that day.
Hamline University switched from the platform Piperline to Workday during the 2020-21 school year, and now Workday handles registration, payments, schedules and more. Workday is preloaded to filter course options for folks with certain completed credits to be eligible or not for advanced courses, and can account for schedule overlaps. In addition to that, Workday does have a tab in which students can view the level of completion of their degree and Hamline Plan letters.
With questions about course overrides, schedule conflicts and degree completion status, the registrar Gwenn Sherburne, accessible at registrar@hamline.edu, is available to help.