Historic Hutton Arena introduces new lounge

Logan McGaheran

Hamline University is a notably historic campus. From Old Main to the library inside of GLC, these buildings have stood the test of time. Being historic does not mean a lack of modern touch, though. Hamline recently unveiled a brand new addition to Hutton Arena, the Winston Folkers ‘57 Alumni Room.
“These rooms will be used primarily by volleyball, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. The team rooms will be used for meetings, film sessions, leadership development and team building,” Athletic Director Alex Focke said.
The new facilities should make both gameday prep and overall team chemistry even stronger. Two of the teams that will soon be using the Alumni Room are the men’s and women’s basketball teams, who are both looking for repeat seasons from last year, which included a playoff trip and a playoff game victory for both squads.
In regards to the Rooms’ namesake, “Winston Folkers is a 1957 graduate and former basketball player at Hamline University. Winston has also served as a Trustee and is a Lifetime Trustee. Alumni and Friends came together with a vision of honoring Win anonymously,” Focke said.
This development goes beyond just the university, it extends to how strong Hamline’s community is.
“We are honored that the rooms were funded 100% through charitable gifts,” Focke said. Donations are just one of the many ways Hamline’s past assists its present and future.
“We were approached by the donor with a vision of honoring Win. When we looked at the spaces, we realized that this was the perfect project to help those who are philanthropically inclined and have a vision.”
This new space breathes even more fresh life into one of the most historic college courts not only in Minnesota, but the country as a whole.