Sports Opinion: Reconnecting the Oracle and Athletics

Since 1888, The Oracle has covered and reported all things Hamline, on or off campus. We wholeheartedly report with unbiased news coverage and intend to continue doing so. We have a strict code of ethics, outlined by the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics that we abide by for every single piece of content that we produce.
I have never and will continue to not have any ill intentions towards any Hamline faculty, staff or anyone who is part of the student body. I myself have been a member of the press for six years and the last two with The Oracle.
In those last two years I have had the pleasure of covering and editing stories featuring Hamline’s storied athletic programs. In recent months the sports staff at The Oracle has had some issues with being able to meet sources in person. We understand conflicting schedules and other factors sources may have, however meeting virtually creates a number of obstacles that impede our work as reporters.
For example, one of the many reasons why reporters aim to speak with sources in real time is the benefit of tone translating and the clearest, most authentic possible quotes to ensure the quality and integrity of every story.
Part of being on a smaller campus means that as a whole we need to have a collaborative effort in bettering the University and community around us.
Recently, the relationship between Hamline Athletics and The Oracle has been less than exceptional, which I aim to change. I myself, as well as some of my reporters have had difficulty in finding sources who are comfortable speaking with the press for pieces on Hamline Athletics.
Many of the concerns on the other end are in the nature of The Oracle running negative press on certain athletic programs, which is the complete opposite of my intention. I took over the role of Sports Editor for The Oracle this fall and have enjoyed my time doing so exponentially. I am making it my priority to better the relationship between us and the great athletic programs here at Hamline.
If there has been any past issue or if a future one takes place, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or oracle@hamline.edu.