FRC, CG+S…WDYM?

FRC%2C+CG%2BS...WDYM%3F
Emily Welch

Correction: With the new Pantry Saver system, Food Resource Center (FRC) is now better able to report “proof of need” and other data to their funders. Though the new system is an efficiency improvement, the old system did not cause any loss of funding.

Supporting yourself on your own can be quite a challenge, especially for college students. Thankfully, there are many free resources available on Hamline University’s campus to help support students during their time at Hamline.
The Food Resource Center (FRC) is available to the Hamline community to shop for free groceries and is located in West Hall, after moving from its original space in Walker Fieldhouse. The FRC has also changed the system they use for students to be able to shop, switching from Qualtrics to Pantry Saver.
Qualtrics was a resource allowing students to place orders online, which was useful during the COVID-19 pandemic when fewer students were able to shop in person. The system required students to scan a QR code and fill out a form to complete the process. Eventually, it became difficult for employees to track the intake of students who utilized the FRC.
“It was hard to keep up our funding for a little bit because we didn’t have the proof of the need because no one was filling out the QR code,” Sadie Berlin, Food Resource Center Coordinator said.
Now with Pantry Saver, the FRC can track the number of households they’re serving and how much food is being donated.
“Starting last fall from August to December, we donated 40,000 pounds of food,” Berlin said.
The FRC contains a multitude of groceries and household supplies for students, including donations from the micro garden on campus and Trader Joe’s. They also provide kitchen utensils students can borrow and a microwave.
If students need more help with household supplies, the Center for Gender and Sexualities (CG+S) provides free menstrual and sexual health supplies. The Center is located on the third floor of the Anderson Center.
They also have stations set up in every building on campus and by each restroom. These resources are stocked every week by staff.
“Providing these resources but also learning to be comfortable and not feel as though they have to spend a bunch of money to learn things is so crucial especially when you are already paying for university,” said Elisa Lopez, a sophomore at Hamline University.
In Bush Memorial Library, students can receive free ethernet cords from the Central Service Desk. In the library’s basement, the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA), provides a station of school supplies including binders, writing utensils, notebooks and many other supplies students need.
Another resource in the basement of the library is free books for students. There is also a little library located outside of the Creative Writing House.
There are also free health resources available around campus. Students can find free face masks and COVID-19 tests outside of the Health and Counseling Services office in the basement of Manor Hall. They are also available at the front desk of Anderson Center.
Hamline University offers health and counseling services to students. Counseling services offer three types of free support groups for students to join. The three types of services include Stress and Anxiety support, Women’s support and Writing Through Trauma.
“Groups are particularly well suited for students who are looking to better understand their behavior patterns in interpersonal relationships,” said Jenny Roper, a licensed psychologist at Hamline.
This resource allows students to connect with others within the community and be provided with a way to address mental health concerns.
Hamline’s campus also offers multiple free activities to students. The Bush Aerobic Center, located in the Bush Student Center, is a free gym for students to use. The gym includes two treadmill machines, two elliptical machines, one bike machine, one rowing machine and a set of dumbbells.
The Sorin Game Space is located in the lobby of Sorin Hall and is available for students to use any games provided within the space. It also provides a lounge space for students to connect with other students in the community.
Hamline University’s campus offers many resources to students to help them afford living expenses and take care of their well-being. Many of these resources and more information can be found on Hamline University’s website.