Inside the Hamline Lacrosse Team

With unmistakable determination, the Hamline Lacrosse team takes to the field, poised for another thrilling season. With each practice and game, they aim to refine their skills and strengthen their bond as a team.
The spotlight recently shone on sophomore Courtney Parker as she was awarded the Player of the Game Belt. The belt is a representation of the team’s values, awarded to players who demonstrate the commitment and determination that define the Hamline Lacrosse team.
“We love having ways to recognize each other in all the hard work and dedication that we put into the game that we love, during practice and outside of practice,” Parker said. Her sentiment notes the importance of acknowledging the efforts and perseverance that drives their success both on and off the field.
Head Coach Adam Dobis, who joined the lacrosse coaching staff in Jan. 2023, embodies a relentless commitment to excellence, guiding his team with a “grind day-to-day” philosophy anchored by three core principles. These principles are maintaining energy levels, creating a strong work ethic both on and off the field, and prioritizing the success of the team over individual goals. Beyond the lacrosse fields, Dobis inspires players to pursue personal growth and development.
This dedication to an overall development creates a supportive environment within the team, where players like Lola Brouwer, a first-year, emphasize the abundant support from teammates.
“The captains are very honest and open with the rest of the team,” Brouwer said, highlighting the culture of transparency and sisterhood within the team. “We all have relationships that go deeper than just lacrosse. This helps us all see each other as friends before teammates and helps us play together better because we all genuinely like each other.”
Moreover, Dobis’s support resonates with the team.
“Coach Dobis is always filled with a lot of energy and is willing to take time out of his day to go through systems or get extra reps in— out on the field or in Walker Fieldhouse” Parker said, emphasizing Dobis’ commitment to their overall success.
Dobis goes the extra mile for his players, holding weekly meetings to address any questions or updates, whether related to on-field strategies or off-field matters. This approach reflects his commitment to creating a supportive environment both on and off the field.
“The first thing he always asks me is ‘how’s school?’ It shows me that he cares about my education just as much as he cares about my performance on the lacrosse field” Brouwer said. This emphasis on strong academics alongside athletics shows Dobis’ dedication to nurturing well-rounded athletes, ensuring his players excel in all areas.
Additionally, there is a “0-0 score mentality” highlighted by Dobis, meaning no matter the score, the team should put their all into the game and never give up. This mindset, he explained, creates resilience among players, urging them to maintain focus and determination throughout each match.
Excelling on the lacrosse field requires a detailed preparation regime, therefore, preparation for game day is an extensive process that starts immediately after the previous game.
“It’s like a test, you can’t just study the morning of,” Parker said.
Beyond practice sessions, players dedicate time to refine skills like shooting, defense, and going over plays. They study game footage and strategize, while also ensuring their bodies are healthy with help from the team’s trainer. On game day, the team arrives early, using fun games and impromptu dance parties to boost energy.
Driven by relentless determination and unmatched energy, the Hamline Women’s Lacrosse team is flying through their season, united by their love for the game and commitment to each other’s victories.
As they prepare for the coming games, they know that they are more than just players on a field—they are a family.
“Because no matter the outcome, we are a team and a family that will always support each other,” Parker said.