Softball smashes balls the Piper way

Logan McGaheran
Second year Jenna Mahnke trains with a weighted bat inside Walker Fieldhouse during an indoor team practice.

The Pipers have been off to a remarkable start on the diamond this spring, boasting an undefeated 4–0 start. The season kicked off with an early morning double header down in Mankato on Feb. 18 where they bested Bethany Lutheran 4–2 and later on crushed Martin Luther 10–2.
The wins kept on coming the weekend after where the Pipers took down UW-Stout 5–3 and then demolished Buena Vista so swiftly the game ended two innings early with a final score of 11–0.
The program takes a brief pause from the action until March 11, where they will then play ten games in a five day stretch across the state of Florida.
“I am looking forward to continuing our success as a softball team by growing and learning what we can when we can,” juniorsaid.
The third year infielder is the fifth member of the Rubbelke family to compete in Hamline Athletics, along with Jim Rubbelke being the head coach of the softball program.
“I tell people I have the greatest job ever,” Jim Rubbelke said. “I [get to] coach softball for a living.”
Rubbelke began his tenure way back in 2009 and has accumulated an impressive record of 306–252–2 with nine playoff victories on his resume as well. The hot start to the season continued the late success the Pipers found last spring where they won four of their six final games to end the season.
“I think the intensity [has been] stronger this year,” sophomore Gracie Bond said. “We have taken a stronger approach at being conditioned and staying in shape this year.”
NCAA and MIAC guidelines around off-season practices were also amended to allow more time to prepare for the season. Players on the roster have taken advantage of the extra time and the early dominance has proved the time well spent.
“We are a fairly young team but most of us are returners so I’m expecting to see some good things play out,” Jenna Rubbelke said.
The flawless start has shown the countless hours of preparation to succeed along with the team chemistry this program has continued to show. With more success expected along the way this should be a season to remember on the diamond for Hamline Softball.