Baseball aims to bounce back during conference play

Logan McGaheran, Oracle
Hamline pitching staff gets much needed bullpen work in after a long stretch of games over spring break prior to a weekend series on the road.

After going a disappointing 2–5 stretch during their spring break trip to Arizona, Hamline’s Men’s Baseball team (7–9) is looking forward to brighter horizons with the upcoming Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC).
Despite a lackluster outing over the break, Head Coach James Weyandt remains optimistic about the team’s chances of performing well at the MIAC. In preparation, he notes several key improvements that he and the team will be implementing to blow away the competition later this month.
“We need to be more consistent on the mound and defensively. Those two things can go hand in hand and that is our biggest focus as a team over the next week and a half leading into conference play,” Weyandt said.
Before the MIAC, however, the Pipers will still need to lock horns with Iowa’s Central College (4–9), where they will contend with the Dutch in three games across two days on March 23-24. While the MIAC remains the bigger picture for the team, Weyandt is still not looking past Central College. Learning from the painful lessons experienced over spring break, he firmly believes in his team’s ability to overcome their neighbors from down South.
“We are very confident about our chances against Central. We are excited to have four good practices this week before we head down to Central this weekend,” Weyandt said.
Looking ahead to the MIAC, Hamline will be participating in 20 games all throughout late March to early May where they will go toe-to-toe with 10 other stellar university teams.
Starting off, the Piper’s first assignment of the conference will be Saint Mary’s University (6–7). Currently, they hold a losing record of 6–14 against the Cardinals, with them having decimated Hamline in a 10–0 blowout the last time they played.
Next, the Pipers will square off with their second challenger Macalester (4–11). Though Hamline steamrolled the Scots in their last confrontation 21–6, the pair’s overall history currently stands at a close 12–10 just barely in Hamline’s favor.
For their third opponent, Hamline will meet up against Concordia Moorehead (3–11). In their previous tussle, the Pipers just narrowly lost to the Cobbers 16–20. Their lifetime record is also just as close at 11–14 with Concordia Moorehead holding the edge.
At number four, we have Saint John’s University (8-6). Although Hamline bested the Johnnies back in April last year 7–5, the Collegeville natives currently hold the lead in over games at 8–4.

Sophomore Tyler Peterson leaps up to make the catch in a practice. (Logan McGaheran)

Despite keeping it close with several of the previously mentioned teams, Hamline will have to face a school that has largely had their number over the years in their fifth foe, The College of St. Scholastica (10–3). After falling short in their May 2023 match against the Saints 3–13, in addition to suffering a 1–4 record against them, the Pipers will have their hands full when they take to the diamond to do battle.
From one difficult test to another, Hamline’s sixth opponent, Bethel University (7–6), will undoubtedly be a daunting wall for the team to overcome after the Pipers endured a sound 3-10 trouncing from the Royals in 2023, as well as possessing a whopping 4–18 losing record to their neighbor.
Moving on from losing matchups, the Pipers’s seventh adversary will come in the form of Carleton College (1–6). While Hamline did unfortunately lose their skirmish versus the Knights last year 5–12, they do, however, take the lead in the pair’s record at 14–10.
For number eight, Hamline will pit themselves against Augsburg University (3–9). Last April, the Pipers put away the Auggies decisively 8–1 and racked up an entirely favorable overall record at an impressive 16–7.
At ninth we have St. Olaf (5–6). Based on the Piper’s previous 13–3 victory over the Oles, it would almost seem that Hamline will be the favorite in the pair’s eventual meetup. However, a close record of 10–9 suggests that St. Olaf may very well present a real threat to Hamline’s time in the MIAC.
Finally, for their last challenger of the season, Hamline crosses paths with Gustavus Adolphus College (8–5). In their last match of the MIAC, the Pipers will have their work cut out for them when they take on the Gusties who handed them a 2–10 defeat last April while also holding the lead in their lifetime record at 12–8.