Lacrosse red hot at the halfway point

Conan Searcy
Pipers return to the sideline following a tough 6–16 loss versus St. Benedict at Klas Field on Wednesday, March 20.

Currently sitting with a record of 5–2, Hamline University’s Lacrosse team has enjoyed a great deal of success in 2024, having previously embarked on a five game win streak after coming up short in their first game of the season against Carroll University. This win streak would ultimately be snapped, however, when Hamline lost 6–-16 to the College of Saint Benedict on March 20.
Despite the recent loss, head coach Adam Dobis still has faith in his team’s winning mindset.
“We are just focused on the next game. We have a mentality of playing in each game showing a 0–0 scoreboard, and that same mentality applies to our game schedule and just focusing on the next game ahead,” Dobis said. This mentality will prove vital for Hamline going forward, as the team will be taking part in the annual MWLC (Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference) starting April 7.
While the Pipers still have several more games to play until then, Dobis is in high spirits about the rest of the season pre- and post-MWLC season.
“We have a great opportunity to play some high-caliber non-conference opponents going forward in preparation for our conference schedule, and we are simply looking to grow and improve both as individuals and as a group,” Dobis said. “We’ve had a great start to the season so far, and it’s important for our group to take confidence from our previous games, and apply it to our preparation for our upcoming games.”
In the first contest of the MWLC, the Pipers will square up with Cornell College (7–1).
The Pipers just barely lost to the Rams a year ago 9–10, but still hold the advantage in the lifetime record at 2–1. In this matchup, the Pipers will likely face their stiffest opposition yet.
At number two sits Lake Forest College (5–2). After dropping a close 9–12 game the previous April and possessing a 1–2 record against the Foresters, Hamline will be looking to even up the score against the women from Illinois.
For their third challenge, the Pipers will do battle with Augsburg University (1–6). Currently, Hamline is riding a seven game win streak over the Auggies, including last year’s 13–5 triumph, alongside a massive 7–1 record.
Coming in at fourth, we have Hamline locking horns with familiar foes, College of Saint Benedict (2–3). With a chance of redemption dangling right in front of them, the Pipers will have the opportunity to settle the score with CSB after losing to them last week, as well as earning their first win over them to improve on their 0–2 record against the St. Joseph natives.
And for their fifth and final opponent, Hamline crosses sticks with the University of Northwestern (3–4). Standing as the favorite in this matchup by a large margin due to having bested the Eagles at the last conference 10–9, in addition to leading the pair’s game record 12–1, the Pipers have a tremendous chance to end their MWLC run on a high note.