Pipers fall to Cobbers twice over the weekend

Logan McGaheran
Senior infielder Tyler Johnson stepping up to the plate in the Pipers heartbreaking 2-3 loss against Concordia-Morehead in extra innings.

The Pipers dropped both games against the Concordia-Moorhead Cobbers during Saturday’s doubleheader at CHS Field. The Pipers struck first in game one of the double header courtesy of a Finn Melchior RBI double to right to make it 1–0.
The Cobbers would respond with an RBI double in the fifth and a bases-loaded hit batter in the sixth to put Concordia-Moorhead in front 2–1. In the bottom of the sixth inning, fifth-year Mac Enlow would double into right center field, scoring the man on third base and tying the contest at two a piece.
The score would then stay the same and cause it to go into extra innings. The Pipers were the first to crack in extras as a costly defensive error in the top of the eleventh inning would allow a lone Cobber run to score and put them on top. Concordia-Moorhead stopped the Hamline offense from getting anything going in the bottom of the inning as the Pipers would fall in game one by a final score of 3–2.

Junior pitcher Connor Mestemacher prepares to deliver a pitch to a Cobber batter last Saturday (Isaac Roy)

The Pipers recorded some good individual performances in the first game of the two game set. Starting pitcher junior Conor Mestemacher pitched 4.1 innings and struck out five Cobbers while third baseman junior Caden Erickson went 2–4 with a walk while scoring twice.
Concordia-Moorhead put a crooked number on the scoreboard right off the bat in game two of the doubleheader. The Pipers pitchers walked three and hit one batter in the first inning, allowing the Cobbers to go up 5–0 despite only notching three hits.
Hamline would respond right back in the second with a senior Tyler Johnson two run double to chip away at the deficit. The Cobbers would then go on to score six unanswered runs and win game two by a final score of 11–3.
Despite the blowout loss, two Pipers, Enlow and Johnson, recorded a three hit game. On the pitching side of things, both senior Xavier Bembnister and junior Ethan Smith were able to strike out 3 Cobber batters. As a result, the Pipers fell to 2–4 record in conference play and 9–15 overall. The final two games of the six game homestand continue on Monday against the University of St. Johns.