Pipers clobber the Rams

Piper baseball completely and utterly dominated North Central this Wednesday en route to a ten run victory on the road in non-conference play.
Following a 1-2-3 inning in the first, Hamline got the scoring started courtesy of a junior Finn Melchior R.B.I. single. In the bottom of the second a first-year Kyle Vanek R.B.I. double and a fifth-year Max Gertsner R.B.I. single would pair with a North Central error to make the score 4–0 in favor of the Pipers. Another North Central error in the third would add another two runs to the Pipers’ box score.
The Rams would earn their lone run of the contest in the top of the fourth inning with a groundout to the first baseman that would make the score 6–1.
Hamline quickly responded in the bottom of the fifth by getting two runners on quickly. Senior Tyler Johnson would clear the bases with a three run bomb to center to extend the Piper lead to 9–1.
Vanek single in the sixth and a bases-loaded walk in the seventh would be all she wrote as the Pipers won by a final score of 11–1 in the seven inning contest.
Offensively the Pipers were led by Vanek, who recorded two hits and two R.B.I. as well as a run scored, and Johnson who went 3–5 with 3 R.B.I. and a homer.
The Piper pitchers put together a solid night as junior Conor Mestemacher and Melchior combined to only allow five hits and one run throughout the seven inning game.
The Pipers improved to a 11–16 overall record, already surpassing their win total from last season. Their next games will be played in Duluth as Hamline travels to play St. Scholastica on April 17.