Women’s Tennis wins first match since spring break

On Wednesday afternoon, the Hamline Women’s Tennis team went up against two skilled opponents: the University of Northwestern Eagles and the Martin Luther College Knights.

The Pipers had a tough 5–4 loss against Northwestern before returning strongly with a solid 7–2 victory over Martin Luther later that day.

The Pipers dominated in the doubles matches, winning two out of three.  First-year Elanna Kohner and sophomore Lynn Nguyen secured their match with a decisive 8–4 win at No. 2 doubles. At doubles court No. 3, sophomore Natalie Randall and senior Sydney Hubbard clinched their match with a strong final score of 8–4.

Kohner and first-year Vanessa Pham led the charge with impressive victories for the team in the singles matches; Kohner reigned victorious with a 6–3, 6–4 win at No. 6 singles, and Pham triumphed with a 6–2, 6–3 win at No. 5.

Versus Martin Luther, the Pipers displayed dominance in doubles with a 2–1 lead, securing decisive wins from Nguyen and Kohner 8–4 at No. 1, and sophomore Elizabeth Dimian and first-year Jessica Widmer with a strong 8–1 at No. 3.

The team was not done yet, claiming multiple victories in the singles matches. Sophomore Chloe Reyes and senior Ashley Pitzen each notched a victory with 8–1 at No. 1 and No. 2 singles,
respectively. Kohner continued her winning streak with an 8–0 knockout at No. 5. Pham took care of business with a striking 8–2 win at No. 4, and first-year Anya Sugden sealed the deal with an 8–3 victory at No. 6.