Baseball splits Bethel series

The Pipers went 1–1 in a two game set against Bethel on Saturday, earning a victory against the Royals for the first time since 2021.
The action of game one started in the second inning when singles by Finn Melchior and Nick Zezulka would put two on with two outs for first year Jacob Barmore. Barmore got a pitch he liked and smoked it out to left field for a three run homer. Kaleb Corcoran then stepped up to the plate and smacked a homer of his own, this time soaring over the right field fence to make it a 4–0 ballgame.
Bethel would shift the momentum into their favor as a two-run fifth inning would put them back into the game. Then in the sixth, a triple by Bethel shortstop Zach Thompson would clear the bases and score three runs, putting the Royals up 5–4 for their first lead of the contest
Going into the potentially final inning down a run, the Pipers’ Max Gerstner would tie the game with an RBI single. Caden Erickson was the next batter and he would take back the Pipers lead with an RBI double, scoring Gerstner. This would ultimately be the deciding run as the Pipers win game one 6–5
Jacob Barmore stood out offensively, recording his first career collegiate home run with his second inning three run shot. Josh Cary continued to impress on the mound as he earned his second straight save and lowered his season earned run average to an impressive 2.60.
Game two was an entirely different story with Bethel having a five hit second inning that resulted in four early runs for the bad guys. A fourth-inning home run and fifth-inning RBI single would see Bethel increase their lead to 7–0.
The Royals put the final nail in the coffin in the seventh inning. With the Pipers already nearing run rule territory, Matthew Carlsen smacked a three-run home run that would trigger the 10-run rule to take effect as Hamline fell in game two by a final score of 12–0.
With the two game split, the Pipers moved to 5–7 in MIAC play and 13–18 overall. The Pipers next play at home for a two game series vs. Carleton on April 22.