Hamline Pipers Split Doubleheader Against St. Scholastica

In a midweek showdown, the Hamline University softball team squared off against St. Scholastica in a tense double header that showed off the skills of both teams.
The Pipers left the field with a victory under their belt, splitting the series with a win in game one but a loss in game two.
The opening game saw the Pipers jump into action, breaking a tense 0–0 deadlock with a powerful two runs in the fourth inning. This game-changing moment led to a hot streak through the rest of the game, as Hamline secured a decisive 6–0 victory.
Pitching proved to be the cornerstone of Hamline’s success, with sophomore starter Gracie Bond delivering a dominating performance on the mound. Bond showcased her talent, allowing just three hits while tallying two strikeouts, ultimately taking down the St. Scholastica offense in a complete-game shutout.
The Pipers’ bats came alive in support of Bond’s stellar outing, led by Maddie Johnson and Abbey Herbert, each going 2–3 at the plate. Elena Martinez bolstered the team’s offensive efforts with a solid 2–4 performance at the plate.
Additionally, Josephine Cariveau’s pivotal RBI double, a hit that not only propelled her to second base but also drove in a run for Hamline. Gabby Tuhy’s sacrifice bunt and Mikenna Johnson’s bases-loaded single both contributed to the scoring onslaught and helped lead the team to victory.
Savannah Johnson also emerged as a key contributor, notching a hit and crossing home plate twice for the Pipers, who dominated the offensive battle with an impressive 11 hits compared to St. Scholastica’s three.
Despite their commanding performance in the first game, the Pipers faced a formidable challenge in the second matchup as St. Scholastica fought back fiercely. In a hard-fought contest, the Saints emerged victorious with a 5–1 win, securing their first MIAC victory of the season.
Hamline’s offense struggled to find its rhythm against St. Scholastica’s pitching, managing only four hits in the game, with Scholastica only hitting six. S. Johnson and Tuhy led the charge, each recording a double in their 1–3 performances. Jenna Rubbelke and Lainey Wier also contributed with hits for the Pipers, but the Saints’ strong defensive efforts proved to be a challenge.
On the mound, Natalee Boelk battled fiercely for Hamline. Despite the relentless onslaught from St. Scholastica’s batters, Boelk delivered pitch after pitch. Though the opposition managed to tally six hits and five runs against her, Boelk never wavered in her efforts to keep the Pipers in the game.
The St. Scholastica pitcher, Ashley Matejka, proved to be a tough opponent, only allowing four hits and one run over seven innings for a decisive 5–1 loss for the Pipers.
The Pipers will next face off against St. Olaf down in Northfield this Saturday. The Oles currently sit at 16–12 on the season and have yet to face off against Hamline.