Along for the ride: new rideshare system on campus

Shelbie Morrell, Reporter

For students living hours away from home, getting back can be a hassle. But with the recent creation of the Hamline Rideshare Board in Sorin Residence Hall, students can make their long drive home both easier and more interesting by sharing it with another student. The rideshare board, created by the Sorin Hall Council, provides students with the opportunity to share the burden of travelling long distances.

“I live four hours away, so its harder to find a ride up to where I live and I know it’s harder for other people to find rides around,” said Jenna Nestburg, President of the Sorin Hall Council.

This is true for many students here at the Hamline campus with many students coming from around the United States and the world. It’s often difficult for students to find ways to get home if they do not own a car, and for students who do own a car, gas prices make travelling a challenge when going alone. Students may not know whom to ask for either a ride or for passengers.

“I’d love to be able to take advantage of a rideshare board especially in times in the middle of the school year, not necessarily on break where there aren’t a lot of people going home,” said freshman Alex Udulutch, “If there is someone going to that area, I could get a ride most of the way there.”

The rideshare board is also easy to use, students who are interested fill out a slip depending on if they are looking for passengers or looking for a ride. The slip contains the person’s name, where and when they are going, and their cell phone number for contact purposes. The student then takes two pushpins from the Sorin front desk and places one in the location they want to go and another one, with the slip attached, to the side of the rideshare board. The directions are also displayed on the rideshare board to help students with the process.

According to Kyra Engen, the Sorin Hall Council Public Relations Officer “the rideshare board is available to “anyone that is a Hamline student, so that can be a law student, a graduate student or an undergrad student.”

Nestburg said that the Sorin Hall Council is exploring the possibility of creating an online version of the rideshare board to make access easier for students.

“I’m hoping that maybe next meeting we can discuss getting an online thing as well, because that might be more convenient for people,”Nestburg said.

The Sorin Hall Council was also pondering the idea of setting up a Hamline rideshare Facebook page, however the council looks to tackle this issue in the near future. In the meantime, the Sorin Hall Council hopes that the rideshare board in Sorin Hall can be a valuable and convenient resource for all Hamline students to utilize.