“Look! We have a radio station”

HU Radio plans on introducing 24/7 broadcasting.

Francheska Crawford Hanke, Reporter

Starting this year, Hamline Radio stepped up its broadcasting game with new, 24/7 broadcasting. According to the station manager, senior Charlie Shafer, the change occurred to compete with other MIAC institutions and for overall growth.

“When you listened to our station compared to others in past years we were behind. Hu Radio… needed growth, and this was the next step to increase our capabilities and potential for improvement and growth,” Shafer said.

However, this shift isn’t as drastic as it may seem. Over the past few years the radio has steadily increased the amount of DJs, going from ten to 30 staff members in one year. In addition, they’ve been trying new things to evolve from two years ago; starting Winter Wonderjam with the Programming Board and one year ago promoting the radio with vintage crewnecks. So, when it came to increase to a constant broadcast, it was just a step in a steady incline.

“We were just ready for it,” Shafer said.  

For listeners, the shift to 24/7 broadcasting is going to provide easy listening. According to a regular DJ, sophomore Kyra Engen, the constant broadcast will allow students to tune in any time during the day.

“The 24/7 broadcasting has helped HU Radio become more appealing in the sense that a student can turn it on and listen to the music all day long, and then listen to our DJ’s talk at night,” she said.

Another DJ, freshman Casey Doig, shared Engen’s perspective that 24/7 broadcasting would enhance the experience for all listeners. In fact, Doig believed that this will enhance the support of HU Radio overall.

“Listeners… can support their own campus radio station by listening in all the time now,” he said.

With the increase of broadcasting time, HU Radio can also strive to further develop their brand and content to represent the diversity that Hamline is so proud of on campus in the air waves as well.

“The 24/7 music playing is an eclectic, diverse selection containing everything from Blink 182 to Duke Ellington. The radio shows themselves air almost every day throughout the day…One hour we have an expert playing and discussing classical music, the next hour you could have someone informing her listeners about sex health,” Shafer said.

The shows he mentioned specifically are Classic Tunes with Jeff Mund and Bedroom Talk with Brittany Vanbuskirk which are just two of the multitude of shows broadcasting throughout the week from 7:00 in the morning to 11:00 at night.

In addition to building their brand focus, HU Radio hopes to spread their influence to be more well known around campus and to have a presence at all events where there’s music.

As it has grown in broadcasting span and staff, HU radio has strived towards a similar goal of representing a variety of tastes and voices since Hamline is a vibrant community with a plethora of different minds.

Shafer himself described HU radio’s message, “Here! Look! We have a radio station and it is here to represent you, your opinions, convictions and beliefs.”

To tune in, visit http://www.hamline.edu/students/organizations/hu-radio/ for the direct links to a variety of listening options.