Theta Chi’s Paint Party

Hamline fraternity hosts their first blacklight recruitment party.

Kalli Wilson

Hamline students packed into the Theta Chi Fraternity house on Friday, Feb. 26 for their blacklight paint party. The alcohol-free event showcased the fraternity for campus recruitment.

Kalli Wilson, Reporter

It was advised not to wear any cherished item of clothing to the party. This was good advice for all attendees of the blacklight paint party event hosted by Theta Chi Fraternity last Friday, Feb. 26. If you arrived before the influx of the crowd, you could quickly make your way inside, glance at the temporarily colorless interior and expect to be able to leave the party spotless. However, this was a hasty expectation as the night proceeded and the crowd at Theta Chi began to grow.

Soon enough, the brimming coat check and plastic-covered walls of the off-limits first floor area led to real activity on the floor below. The opaquing effect of smoke machines and the lively sounds of music drifted up from the stairway. On the lower level, no white T-shirt, wall space or body was safe from the paint being splattered in all directions. Partygoers emerged from the stairs layered in the multi-colored aftermath of this adventurous event.

“I look like two paint cans exploded.” said Stefon Randle, a member of Theta Chi. “My beanie looks like target practice.”

Many other people echoed this thought—both in commentary and colorful appearance. The house became a revolving operation of creating Pollock-esque canvases out of every guest.

“There is way more paint than I expected to be down there,” said Lexi Rivard (‘19), a member of Delta Tau Sorority. “I didn’t know what to expect. I thought it would be just Greeks, but lots of people showed up!” she said.

Although expectations for attendance were uncertain for this new event, many students were interested or confirmed their attendance on Facebook and promotional posters were hung all over campus.

Paint Party3WEBKalli Wilson

According to Longi Chen, Vice President of Theta Chi Fraternity, the goal of the event was recruitment. The fraternity worked to secure approval from the alumni board and have efficient advertising.

“We hope to attract people and extend bids to those who are outstanding,” he said.

This process is based on three factors: grades, social competence and finances.

Even after three years of experience with the fraternity, Chen said that this party was “one of the most fun events we’ve had.” He was quick to give credit to Bryce Herber, Assistant Recruitment Chair at the fraternity.

Herber elaborated on goals he had for the new event.

“We want to show people that we want to have fun, we’re not just hanging around,” said Herber.

From left to right: students Will Young, Presley Rumsey, Ladan Siraji and Katie Spoon covered in paint at Theta Chi's party.
Kalli Wilson
From left to right: students Will Young, Presley Rumsey, Ladan Siraji and Katie Spoon covered in paint at Theta Chi’s party.

An event of this nature was a large undertaking for the group.

“It’s fun, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a lot of responsibility,” Herber said.

As a recruitment event, Theta Chi aimed to demonstrate the type of environment that they wished to represent to potential recruits and the Hamline community. The event emphasized the drug and alcohol free policy that the fraternity was enforcing. No alcohol was allowed on the house property.

“We call ourselves a fraternity; we are not a frat,” said Herber. “[This event] shows that you can be sober and still have a blast.”

With no official end to the party, strobe lights pulsed, music played, people danced and paint spilled throughout the night. Laughter and fast-paced beats could be heard clearly from the second floor. Hamline students from all over campus came to Theta Chi to enjoy an event that was different than, perhaps, the average Friday night.