Second annual Pieces of Hamline exhibit takes place

The MPIRG sponsored event is giving student artists a place to show their work.

Catherine Stolz, Reporter

The social justice chapter of MPIRG is showcasing the visual and spoken works of students to the community on Feb. 25 in the Kay Fredricks Ballroom from 6 to 8 p.m. The event is designed to promote activism by featuring over 20 works from student artists.

Wyatt Ehlke and Kayla Farhang, the event coordinators and members of MPIRG, hope that while the exhibit has no overall theme, the function will allow students to come together and explore Hamline’s values and outlook.

“We want to do identity work,” Farhang said. “And this is a way to explore our identities as parts of Hamline.”

Last year’s event featured works from artists in the community as well as students, but this year’s exhibit will focus solely on student work.  According to Ehlke and Farhang, paintings, photographs, and spoken word pieces from a wide variety of artists will be featured, many of whom are not art majors. Last year’s turn out was about 30 students, according to Farhang, and this year she projects 50 students and members of the community will come.

Ehlke and Farhang think that the work of about 10 students will be featured, many of whom have submitted multiple pieces.

Hamline is one of seven schools to host MPIRG chapters in Minnesota, and the first to feature a student art exhibit, but Farhang said that the University of Minnesota Duluth has followed Hamline’s lead by hosting a gallery for students.

“It’s not a competition,” said Farhang. “We all share ideas with each other.”

The social justice chapter of MPIRG has hosted other events throughout the year relating to identity as students as well, such as Body Love Week and a Know Your Rights campaign, both of which focused on education and social justice.

The student-run nonprofit also works on environmental issues around campus, such as recycling and sustainability efforts.