Women’s Chorale goes to Cuba

Women’s Chorale plans trip for Spring 2017.

Kalli Wilson, Senior Reporter

Being the birthplace of rhythms such as the Danzón, the Son, the Bolero, the Mambo and the Cha Cha Cha, Hamline’s Women’s Chorale will have a whole new Cuban musical experience during Spring break 2017. The upcoming trip stems from Hamline University being one of only ten universities in the nation to receive a multi-agency grant to set up partnerships with Cuban universities.

Provost Matachek and Kari Richtsmeier, Director of Off Campus and International Programs, took a trip to Cuba last October along with representatives from  other universities who also received the grant. They were successful in establishing a partnership with the University of Cienfuegos.

Cienfuegos is a city on the Southern coast of Cubaknown as La Perla del Sur (Pearl of the South)about two hours south of Havana.

“Once I read about the grant Hamline received and the successful trip last October, I proposed a choir tour to Cuba to Kari Richtsmeier,” said Kathy Thomsen, choir director. “She agreed this was the kind of exchange her office was happy to facilitate.”

Hamline’s partnership with the University of Cienfuegos and President Obama’s recent efforts to open up relations between Cuba and the U.S., helped organizers choose the upcoming date of Spring 2017 for the trip.

“I think traveling and learning about people from all over the world is one of the best ways to learn both about the world around you, and about yourself,” said Sam Lindquist (‘19), member of Women’s Chorale. “I’m viewing this trip as one of the best opportunities I’ve gotten at Hamline and it will definitely [be] one of the highlights of my college career. I’m already excited to pack my bags!”

Lindquist isn’t the only student excited for such a unique opportunity.

“I think it’s incredible that we have the opportunity to travel and perform at someplace other than Sundin,” said Emily Anderson (‘18).

While in Cuba, the itinerary includes two concerts presented solely by Hamline students and then an evening choral festival collaboration with the choir from the University of Cienfuegos and several community choirs. The festival will be held in the Tomas Terry Theatrean elegant, neoclassical building and national monument, complete with four levels of seating.

“Specifically to choir, it’s exciting to think about singing with another choir, let alone a choir with a different cultural background,” said Anderson. “It’ll be great to see if students in Cuba prepare the way we do, and what type of repertoire they choose.”

One special feature of this is the opportunity for alumni and friends of Hamline to travel with the Women’s Chorale group.

“Many details still need to be worked out, but we’re excited about this fantastic opportunity for Hamline students,” said Thomsen. Those interested in singing with Chorale can contact her at kthomsen03@hamline.edu.