Hamline Cleaners goes green

Neighborhood icon makes big changes.

Melody Yabandith, Reporter

With graduation right around the corner, many of us are digging out our formal wear but don’t forget that the best suits are those that are maintained properly. Head down to Hamline Cleaners on Snelling Avenue for a quick clean and press!

Hamline Cleaners has been around for over 75 years and is family-owned. For over 40 years it was owned and operated by Ralph Mikel, who passed the business on to his son and daughter, Joseph and Mary Mikel, but their deep connection to the community isn’t all that makes Hamline Cleaners sparkle.

Just last June, Hamline Cleaners decided to go green, changing from harsh solvents to a more gentle approach. Instead of using chemicals such as Perchloroethylene, Hamline Cleaners now uses Hydrocon, which is non-hazardous. In 2008, Perchloroethylene, or PERC, was determined by the EPA to be a likely cancer-causing agent. PERC can be found in many degreasers and is still used in the dry cleaning business today. Making the change to go green has been a huge step for Hamline Cleaners, both environmentally and financially.

Ralph Mikel said that it has been “cheaper to go green. No doubt about it!” However, he is talking about long term goals, since Hydrocon is actually costlier than PERC per gallon.

“(Hydrocon) is actually better because it really takes out underarm odors and it really flushes them out of (materials),” said Ralph Mikel. Even though Hydrocon is more expensive per gallon, Hamline Cleaners doesn’t plan on raising prices any time soon.

Ralph Mikel isn’t the only one that approves of Hamline Cleaners new green approach; locals are also excited for the business.

All Hamline students receive a 10% discount with a student ID, which makes the price of a clean and pressed suit a mere $15.50. So stop into Hamline Cleaners today and support a local business that cares about its community!