Writer’s got spine

Hamline alum publishes sophomore novel, nourishes successful writing career.

Joan Jastrebski

Author and Hamline alum Robert Schirmer goes against the odds to make a name as a writer.

Chris Schaitberger, Reporter

Robert Schirmer, Hamline class of ‘82, just published his second book, “Barrow’s Point.” Schirmer’s first published work was a collection of short stories, “Living with Strangers,” back in 1992. Since then he has been working on various pieces including a short story, “Fag Killer,” later retitled “Barrow’s Point,” which got published in Glimmer Train Press, then adapted into his novel that was published just this last October.

“Barrow’s Point” is a drama that takes place in a fictional Wisconsin town with a history of homophobia. Focusing on a series of killings targeting gay men in 2006, the story follows a family of four: a widow and her three sons. The youngest battles the conflict between his learned homophobia and his love for his two older gay brothers.

Schirmer got his inspiration for his novel from the attitude towards the gay community during what he describes as “Bush’s America,” and the homophobia lingering underneath the surface.

“I was interested in writing about a specific family and how they dealt with homophobia while all having a different viewpoint.” Schirmer said.

The publication won the 2015 Gival Press Novel Award.

When Schirmer began his time at Hamline in the late 70s he wanted to pursue a degree in the English department got involved in theater and worked for The Oracle in his first year. But as the deadline to declare his major approached, the people in his life kept pressing him to pursue a degree that was “more practical.”

“They kept telling me it was unrealistic, so I finally took their word for it,” said Schirmer.

Starting his third year as a declared business administration and psychology major, Schirmer still had no idea what career he wanted. In fact, he did not begin thinking about what he wanted to do with his degree until about two years after graduation.

He enrolled in graduate school at the University of New Hampshire where he got his Master of Arts in Creative Writing. It wasn’t even until after his M.A. when Schirmer felt called to obtain a Master of Fine Arts in Fiction Writing from the University of Arizona.

Schirmer is one example of a great alum; someone can really accomplish their ambitions when they follow their heart. Yet despite this he continued on to pursue his passion and is now living a successful life as a writer in New York City.