It’s going to cost you

Hamline students face J-term changes for 2018, including a major price hike.

Chris Schaitberger, Reporter

The confirmed revisions for the J-term program were emailed out to each Hamline undergraduate student on Nov. 22. Interim Provost John Matachek broke the news to students about three new changes in his email.

First, the 2.9 percent increase in tuition.

Second, the new credit cap that’s covered by flat tuition, from 20 to 18.

Third, and most talked about change, is the new cost-per-credit of J-term classes.

As it stands, J-term classes are currently included in the price of fall tuition, and with the new changes the cost will be $612 per credit in 2018.

“In January of last year we had over a little over 2,100 students at the undergraduate level, over 1,800 took a J-term course,” President Fayneese Miller said. “If we had charged full tuition for January term for every student, the revenue would have been six million dollars, not including expenses.”

Although the enrollment rate is expected to drop, Miller would like to invest the revenue gained from the new program in scholarship funds, creative opportunities, internships or other opportunities to invest in students’ time here at Hamline.

While Miller’s intentions might be in the best interest of the students, many are still very upset about the change. Apart from being personally unhappy, junior Ben Heaney thinks the change will hurt Hamline.

“I know that people in the administration are claiming that no one has ever decided to come here because of J-term. I believe that a lot of people’s decisions to come to Hamline actually were heavily influenced [by J-term],” Heaney said.

In his first year here at Hamline, Heaney took a J-term class named “Science Fiction and Metaphor; Writing Like Ray Bradbury,” which he loved, but he does not think he could justify exploring new classes with the additional costs.