How to survive Homecoming

10 must know Homecoming tips from a Homecoming planner.

2017 Homecoming Royalty. Vote for your favorite in Anderson during Homecoming Week!

It’s that magical time of year again! Homecoming, the time when campus comes together to show off our Piper Pride. Here are ten things to know to ensure that you have the best Homecoming week ever, from the perspective of a Homecoming Planner:

1. Join the Lip Sync competition! All you have to do is find a group, or go solo and pick a song! Fabulous prizes are involved for performers, but if getting up on stage isn’t your thing, go as an audience member; there might be a few crazy surprises that you won’t want to miss! The deadline to join is Wednesday, October 11 at noon. The actual performance is on Friday, October 13 in Anderson forum, from 8-10 p.m. Special points given to groups who do a throwback song from the 60’s, as our theme is Throwback to 1967 to honor the Alumni who graduated 50 years ago.
  2. Dress with your favorite Hamline swag ALL WEEK, and stop by our table in Anderson to get the chance to win free prizes! Dressing in Hamline colors/ Hamline gear is an easy way to show school spirit, and if you could get free stuff for it, why not?
  3. Don’t have any Hamline gear, or need an update? No problem! Go to DIY Hamline Pride on Thursday, October 12, from 6-8 p.m. to make your own Hamline swag! In the past, this has included crewnecks, baseball T’s, and long sleeved shirts. There are loads of fun ways to decorate your shirts, including iron-on letters, glitter glue, pocket squares, you name it! Just bring $5 cash (or it can be charged to your student account, but cash is easiest) to Anderson 304/305. TIP: Make sure to come early; shirts go fast, and you want to make sure to get the right size!
  4. Be ready to go on Saturday, October 14! It’s the big day with most of the Homecoming events including the big game, so make sure that you bring a bag of must have essentials so that you don’t have to keep going back and forth to your dorm/off campus housing. This should include a water bottle to stay hydrated, your student ID to get into the game and your fully charged cell phone. TIP: Also bring layers; make sure you have a Hamline T-shirt AND Hamline sweatshirt, because Minnesota weather is unpredictable.
  5. Get your face painted at the Piper Rally, which is on Alumni Way and runs between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. This will make your school spirit stand out from the rest, and only takes a few minutes to get done. You can make specific requests, or let the face painter freestyle a Hamline design!
  6. Take photos! After getting all of your Hamline gear on and getting your face painted, grab some friends and head to the photo booth that will be present at the Piper Rally. Homecoming is a memorable event, and you want to make sure that you take lots of Homecoming pictures from first year to senior year! They are fun to look back on, and are memories that will last a lifetime.
  7. Drink responsibly; this doesn’t just mean alcohol for those who are of age, it means drink lot’s of water all day; you don’t want to be out of it or tired during Homecoming, and because it is a long day, drinking water is imperative to staying energized and focused on having fun. Also, for those who are of age, bring your ID to the Big Bash, which is in Anderson from 5 to 8 p.m., as there will be alcohol served to those who are 21 or older.
  8. Go to the big game! Whether you are a football fan or not, going to the Homecoming game is a huge tradition where you make fun memories with your friends and classmates. Make sure to bring a fleece blanket to sit on or wrap yourself up with, those bleachers can get uncomfortable! The game is at 1 p.m. on Klas Field. If you really want to go to the game in style, go to the Piper March led by President Fayneese Miller, which will leave from the Piper Rally at about 12:30 p.m. This march will be from Alumni Way in front of Anderson to Klas, and will consist of Pipers lining up behind Miller and proudly walking together to the game to cheer on our team!
  9. Utilize Safety and Security throughout the evening; there are lots of social gatherings that occur during the night of Homecoming. To ensure getting to and from social events safely, make sure to call Safety and Security at 651-523-2100. If they aren’t a contact in your phone, make them one now. They will drive you anywhere within a one mile radius of campus for free, so there is no excuse not to get where you are going safely.
  10. Eat dinner at the Big Bash! For the first time ever, the Big Bash is open to all Hamline students, as it was previously an Alumni only event. The food is all free and delicious, and you can network with plenty of past-Pipers in the process! The Big Bash is from 5-8 p.m. in Anderson. Royalty will also be announced at the Big Bash, so make sure to be there to support your fellow Pipers! From there, make your way to the Homecoming Dance in Kay Fredrick’s Ballroom at 8 p.m., and dance the night away with your friends.

Homecoming is a fun week to bond with your friends as well as come together as a campus. Whatever you do, try to be as involved with Homecoming events as possible, and be safe and responsible in the process. No matter what you choose to attend, as long as you are showing off your Piper Pride and are involved, you will have the best Homecoming yet!